Temporary licence loss

RebTech
RebTech Posts: 160
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
My driving licence was recently revoked for medical reasons. I'm confident this is only temporary, due to a GP being over-cautious (in my opinion, obviously). But the worst case scenario is that it might be August next year before I can drive again.

I'm currently awaiting test results that could conceivably give me the all-clear, but knowing the bureaucracy now (not just DVLC but GP too) I can't imagine the current situation being overturned in less than 6-8 weeks. The insurance is due for renewal in about a week but I can't do it without a licence. 

The car lives in a public car park (I'm in a flat with no parking space). I'm hoping it's ok to leave it there without insurance.

Anyone have any thoughts on that or any other aspect of the situation? Feeling slightly overwhelmed, haven't had to deal with anything remotely like this in a long, long time.

Comments

• Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 206
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have been waiting for the DVLA to review a driving assessment for me for 14 weeks now.  I had a medical condition that required restrictions on my licence.  I have recovered now and according to the assessment (carried out by a driving examiner and physiotherapist) I am fit to drive.  I ring the DVLA every 4 weeks, all I get is "your assessment is waiting to be reviewed".

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,570
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    With no insurance you will also need to SORN the car which brings its own problems for parking.  Who owns this "public" car park ?
  • RebTech
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    With no insurance you will also need to SORN the car which brings its own problems for parking.  Who owns this "public" car park ?
    It's the local authority. Do I really need to SORN it? Kinda wishing I hadn't asked now...
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,143
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    RebTech said:
    molerat said:
    It's the local authority. Do I really need to SORN it? Kinda wishing I hadn't asked now...
    You need insurance if the car is on a road or 'public place', so yes. 

SORNing opens a can of worms. It should be ok as its not on a road, but if DVLA do come along and clamp it you've got an argument on your hands.

Also, the council may act when they spot the car there for an extended period.

Based on my recent similar experience with DVLA you could be in for the long haul, so I'd advise selling the car ASAP before any problems arise - either legally or through long-term non-use.
  • Continuous Insurance regulations came in about a decade ago, and they say that it's illegal to have a taxed but uninsured car.

So, yes, you need to SORN it if the insurance lapses. If it's SORNed, it needs to be kept off any road maintainable at public expense - a council car park probably counts. But an uninsured car can't be kept on a publicly-maintained road, either.

Whether a private car park operator's rules require all cars in the car park to be taxed and insured or not is up to the operator.
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 399
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you sure that you cant insure the car without a licence ?

Just ring the insurer and explain that you are currently unable to drive due to a medical restriction and are awaiting an assessment.

Your chances of making a claim are probably less if you aren't driving
  • Chop-D
    Chop-D Posts: 95
    Forumite
    Sorry to confirm the bad news, without insurance the car will need to be SORN and it can’t be kept or used on a public road. Is there anyone who can help with the car to move it if required…
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,143
    Forumite

Whether a private car park operator's rules require all cars in the car park to be taxed and insured or not is up to the operator.
    Not entirely. A privately-owned car park may still be a 'public place', in which case the law would require insurance.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A car parked up in a public car park, not being used is very likely to be subject to vandalism, as well as non use is never good for a car. Things like brakes rust up.

Or as we have seen in posts here. Someone trying to get the V5 for the car thinking it has been dumped & they would like it.

But just what do you mean by public car park? It must belong to someone & they may take action on a car parked long term without being moved, even if taxed & insured. Without being asked for approval.
    Life in the slow lane
  • RebTech
    Forumite
    Are you sure that you cant insure the car without a licence ?
    No, and I've emailed them, but I'm not optimistic given the message that came with the renewal notice:

"The DVLA has informed us that your driving licence has expired. Please contact the DVLA to renew your driving licence."

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback