Solar battery and extension of solar system

Options
Hi total novice on solar and was after some advice please. I currently have a 3.2 kwh solar system installed about 10 years ago under the older FIT system. I’ve been looking at a battery and our electricity usage is 1966 kwh and obviously looking at the future of energy provision. I’ve been quoted £7700 for a 5kw lithium ion battery with a 1.6 kwh extension to the current solar system and installation of a hybrid inverter. Is this a fair price? or is it enough battery size.
Thanks

Comments

• Hipperty
    Hipperty Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, will this adaptation to your existing system affect your eligibility to continue to receive your FIT payments? We’re in a similar situation but I unsure the current system could be upgraded without ending the current FIT agreement.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've done something similar with my old FITs system.

You have to leave the old panels, inverter and generation meter all in place to continue with the FIT payments. 

The hybrid inverter is then installed completely separately, with a separate circuit on the consumer unit. The battery is charged through the hybrid inverter - the loss in efficiency from the excess PV generation from the old PV system being converted from DC-AC and then back from AC-DC is more than offset by retaining the FIT payments.

Any additional PV system should be connected into the new hybrid inverter to avoid affecting the FITs. This would make sense anyway as the new inverter will be more efficient and will charge the battery much more efficiently in DC as well.

A 5 kW battery will probably only have a 3.75 kWh usable storage capacity - you shouldn't discharge below 20% to protect the battery, and most have a maximum charge of 95%. So you will potentially fill the battery in less than an hour in summer. Personally I don't think that a small battery adds any real value. On a sunny day you're saving about £1/day. Without larger battery storage, what is the point of getting the extra PV? Most of the annual generation is during the summer months when you will be generating more than you can use already from your existing PV. You can't store much in a 5 kW battery, so I would imagine the vast majority of that extra PV is going to be exported - you won't get an export tariff with the FITs still in place, so really no benefit over all. If you had an electric car or air conditioning or swimming pool then might make sense, but you seem to be a very low electricity user.

I have a 20 kWh system, and can easily fill that on a sunny day with excess solar from our 4 kWp system. That's with running the washing machine, tumble dryer and slow charging the electric car. With the electric car tariffs I can also charge up the batteries at night time at cheap rates and use that during the day during the winter.

I would either not do the extra PV and battery (and just put the money saved in a high interest account), or look at the payback of installing at least 10 kWh of battery storage.
  • steffenebersbacher28
    Options
    ComicGeek said:

You have to leave the old panels, inverter and generation meter all in place to continue with the FIT payments. 

The hybrid inverter is then installed completely separately, with a separate circuit on the consumer unit. The battery is charged through the hybrid inverter - the loss in efficiency from the excess PV generation from the old PV system being converted from DC-AC and then back from AC-DC is more than offset by retaining the FIT payments.

Any additional PV system should be connected into the new hybrid inverter to avoid affecting the FITs. This would make sense anyway as the new inverter will be more efficient and will charge the battery much more efficiently in DC as well.

A 5 kW battery will probably only have a 3.75 kWh usable storage capacity - you shouldn't discharge below 20% to protect the battery, and most have a maximum charge of 95%. So you will potentially fill the battery in less than an hour in summer. Personally I don't think that a small battery adds any real value. On a sunny day you're saving about £1/day. Without larger battery storage, what is the point of getting the extra PV? Most of the annual generation is during the summer months when you will be generating more than you can use already from your existing PV. You can't store much in a 5 kW battery, so I would imagine the vast majority of that extra PV is going to be exported - you won't get an export tariff with the FITs still in place, so really no benefit over all. If you had an electric car or air conditioning or swimming pool then might make sense, but you seem to be a very low electricity user.

I have a 20 kWh system, and can easily fill that on a sunny day with excess solar from our 4 kWp system. That's with running the washing machine, tumble dryer and slow charging the electric car. With the electric car tariffs I can also charge up the batteries at night time at cheap rates and use that during the day during the winter.

I would either not do the extra PV and battery (and just put the money saved in a high interest account), or look at the payback of installing at least 10 kWh of battery storage.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your FITs system and hybrid inverter setup. It sounds like you've got a solid grasp on maximizing your solar energy usage and navigating the FIT payments. I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. Have you noticed any significant differences in your energy bills since implementing the hybrid inverter and additional battery storage? I'm particularly interested in understanding how much you've been able to offset your electricity usage during peak times or cloudy days.

2. You mentioned the possibility of investing in a larger battery storage capacity. Have you explored the potential return on investment for increasing your storage capacity to 10 kWh or more? It seems like you're already seeing benefits with your current setup, but I'm wondering if scaling up your storage might lead to even greater savings in the long run.

Your insights on maximizing solar energy usage are really valuable, and I appreciate your perspective on the potential benefits of additional PV and battery storage.

• cedricwilsom1990
    Options
    ComicGeek said:

Thanks for sharing your experience with your FITs system and hybrid inverter setup. It sounds like you've got a solid grasp on maximizing your solar energy usage and navigating the FIT payments. I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. Have you noticed any significant differences in your energy bills since implementing the hybrid inverter and additional battery storage? I'm particularly interested in understanding how much you've been able to offset your electricity usage during peak times or cloudy days.

2. You mentioned the possibility of investing in a larger battery storage capacity. Have you explored the potential return on investment for increasing your storage capacity to 10 kWh or more? It seems like you're already seeing benefits with your current setup, but I'm wondering if scaling up your storage might lead to even greater savings in the long run.

Your insights on maximizing solar energy usage are really valuable, and I appreciate your perspective on the potential benefits of additional PV and battery storage.

It's great to see your proactive approach to optimizing your solar setup with a hybrid inverter and additional battery storage. Have you noticed a significant reduction in your energy bills since these upgrades? Also, in considering an increase in your storage capacity to 10 kWh or more, have you looked into the potential return on investment for this expansion? Your insights could be very helpful for others considering similar upgrades.

• steffenebersbacher28
    Options
    ComicGeek said:

It's great to see your proactive approach to optimizing your solar setup with a hybrid inverter and additional battery storage. Have you noticed a significant reduction in your energy bills since these upgrades? Also, in considering an increase in your storage capacity to 10 kWh or more, have you looked into the potential return on investment for this expansion? Your insights could be very helpful for others considering similar upgrades.

Yes, upgrading to a hybrid inverter and additional battery storage often results in noticeable savings on energy bills. Many homeowners find that they can utilize their solar power more efficiently, reducing their reliance on the grid.

As for increasing your storage capacity to 10 kWh, the return on investment depends on several factors including your daily energy usage and local electricity rates. It’s definitely worth calculating the potential savings against the upfront cost.

Have you explored any local incentives or rebates for expanding your solar energy storage? This could further enhance the economic benefits of your upgrade.

• cedricwilsom1990
    Options
    ComicGeek said:

Yes, upgrading to a hybrid inverter and additional battery storage often results in noticeable savings on energy bills. Many homeowners find that they can utilize their solar power more efficiently, reducing their reliance on the grid.

As for increasing your storage capacity to 10 kWh, the return on investment depends on several factors including your daily energy usage and local electricity rates. It’s definitely worth calculating the potential savings against the upfront cost.

Have you explored any local incentives or rebates for expanding your solar energy storage? This could further enhance the economic benefits of your upgrade.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback