Calor Gas trying to retro charge for a previous property

Options
Hi,
I moved out of my previous home approx. 10 months ago. 

It had an LPG tank in the garden, so off mains, and I paid Calor gas a monthly direct debit for supply. They would monitor the meter and auto-fill it up when needed. 

They have contacted me to say they incorrectly charged the occupants prior to myself for two fuel deliveries and now wish to charge me for this, as the money paid via direct debit did not cover this - 6 months after moving out. The whole duration (approx. 18 months) at the property I paid a monthly direct debit, and at no point was contacted to say this amount should be adjusted in anyway. 

Where do I stand with this? Even if they can chase post my moving out, can they still even do so considering it was their error for 18 months of me openly paying?

Thanks!

Comments

• y-o-r-k-y
    Options
    You normally pay for Tank Rental and then get an extra bill when you get a delivery. Did you have any deliveries whilst you lived there?
  • cannugec5
    Options
    When you first moved in, and had those 2 deliveries did you query why you were not charged for them? 

Would you be happy to pay for the first 2 deliveries that the subsequent owner / tennant had after you left? 

If you know you had the fuel and a simple billing error was made I think you owe the money however annoying it is. The fact that you have now left the property doesn’t negate that. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    jopomomo said:
    Where do I stand with this? Even if they can chase post my moving out, can they still even do so considering it was their error for 18 months of me openly paying?
    If you agree that you received the fuel, Calor can ask you to pay for it.
    Debts can be pursued for 6 years in England and Wales, 5 years in Scotland.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback