Planning Objection to Chicken Agricultural Building for 14,000 Hens

2»

Comments

• Modern hen houses don’t produce the same levels of smell as older hen houses once did, primarily because the waste product is now kept dry rather than wet. I remember being in hen houses 25 years ago and the levels of ammonia would have made your eyes water. That’s not an issue in more recently constructed houses.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You'll certainly smell it from 400m away. Even if the smells escaping have reduced, you'll notice the noise and catch a whiff as the lorries trundle past your front door with the waste.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Grenage said:
    I know this isn't constructive to the issue, but my god - 14,000 chickens in an area 80 by 20.
    ..metres, so roughly 8.75 birds per sqm, which is below the legal 'barn' limit of 9 birds/sqm.

It doesn't sound like much, but as chickens are flocking animals they will tend to pack themselves in tighter than that in some areas of the barn, leaving a good proportion of the floorspace relatively empty (where they can move into to scratch, dustbathe and exercise).  The basic floor area also doesn't account for whatever perching and/or multi-level provision is made.

But that would be an animal health issue, not a valid planning objection.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Grenage said:
    I know this isn't constructive to the issue, but my god - 14,000 chickens in an area 80 by 20.
    It seems maximum stocking density is measured in kilograms per square metre and unless my maths is faulty 14000     birds is way below what is allowed.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,780 Forumite
    Eldi_Dos said:
    Grenage said:
    It seems maximum stocking density is measured in kilograms per square metre and unless my maths is faulty 14000     birds is way below what is allowed.
    As these are laying hens in a non-cage system it would be Schedule 2 of The Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) Regulations 2007 that applies - i.e. 9 hens per sqm.

For meat chickens it would be Schedule 5A, which does use the kg per sqm maximum stocking density approach.

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 September 2023 at 1:31PM
    Grenage said:
    It's actually worse than that as the building is in fact 75m x 20m and some of that area is used for egg packing and other activites, it doesn't specify how much is for each usage type.

Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Is it possible to get neighbours together to talk about this?
    My experience is that no matter how justified a single argument the powers that be only take considered action when faced by a group. Even a small one.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• twopenny said:
    Is it possible to get neighbours together to talk about this?
    My experience is that no matter how justified a single argument the powers that be only take considered action when faced by a group. Even a small one.
    I've just been on the phone to the secretary of the parish council and they are organising a meeting about it.  Will keep you posted.  Apparently a lot of people haven't received a letter about this despite being closer to the proposed development than we are.
  • Not much to update, there were around 100 letters of objection by the closing date and they have amended/clarified their plans somewhat based on that.  One bit of good news is they won't be using articulated HGVs for the weekly delivery/collections it will only be every 70 weeks when they set up the new flock.

I now only buy organic eggs after reading about "Free Range" chicken conditions, yes, I know organic isn't much better but still.  We are looking at getting some hens...........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure