Please help me choose a new laptop for my wife. Revised Requirements.

13»

Comments

• Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Some reviews suggest that the screen on the Lenovo above is not very bright. If that is true, then that is a deal breaker.

We would rather pay a few hundred pounds more for a better screen.

Battery life is not important as it never leaves the house.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • One requirement you haven't mentioned (and was a dealbreaker the last time I went laptop shopping) is a backlit keyboard. 
  • Belenus
    edited 2 October 2023 at 5:09PM
    Interesting point thanks.

I have a 17 inch HP Pavillion 17-cd1014na with a backlit (a subtle pale green) keyboard that I find useful at times.

My wife looked at some red backlit keyboards today and didn't like them. She thought they were garish.

Perhaps if we can find a more subtly white or pale coloured backlit keyboard that might suit.

PS: I have just asked her about this and she says she hardly looks at the keyboard as she can touch type so backlighting is not important to her.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2023 at 9:19AM
    Are you sure that is the right one?
    It says Yogacreator 7i on the screen, which was available with 16GB and an i5 and is a couple of years out of date now.

The ideapad 3i is Lenovo's low cost consumer laptop. They are alright, and will do what you want. They are pretty much throw away if they break though, (but so are most consumer laptops, and it has a 2 year guarantee. Just don't spill anything on it, sit on it or drop it)

It will be similar to this, except it has 16GB https://uk.pcmag.com/laptops/144304/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15-2022

It is a pity that the retailer doesn't include the model number so you could look up the full specs.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Belenus
    facade said:
    Are you sure that is the right one?
    It says Yogacreator 7i on the screen, which was available with 16GB and an i5 and is a couple of years out of date now.

Well spotted.

Perhaps John Lewis have the wrong card in front of the pictured laptop.

We will go back to the store in a few days.

Thanks for replying. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport