Adding a named driver to policy

Options
pseudopensioner
pseudopensioner Posts: 638 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 20 September 2023 at 5:58PM in Motoring
What is a reasonable time for a company to add a named driver to an existing policy. Named driver has 30 years clean licence and owns their own car.

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From a processing point of view, most can do it immediately, some the next day, or on the date you specify.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2023 at 7:19PM
    Options
    When I was with Direct Line I added my Brother in Law. Did it all online and confirmed within an hour.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've just done it. They said when do you want it to start? I said Thursday next week and they said fine, that'll be £25 please.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What is a reasonable time for a company to add a named driver to an existing policy. Named driver has 30 years clean licence and owns their own car.
    Even 20 years ago when I first started in insurance its something that would take a 3 minute telephone call and half of that was going through data protection etc. By the end of the call the driver would be on cover if the customer wanted to add them with immediate effect.

These days you can potentially self serve and do it online yourself.

If there is something odd about your policy or your on special terms etc there is a chance it may need to be referred to an underwriter, this is probably more likely if you are via a broker or other form of intermediary, but that's more likely if the ND was a bad risk which you say they aren't in this case.
  • pseudopensioner
    Options
    Thank you for your reponses.

Previously with Direct Line and yes, 5 minute phone call and it was done, no charge and even a small refund on one occasion. New insurer (Broker) don't, won't, can't do this over the phone and it must be done online. The charge if/when they action it will be £35.

"This is an automated message to let you know that we've received your request and we'll be in touch as soon as possible."

"Currently, your level of cover is the same as before you got in touch. This means that you aren't yet covered for the changes you've asked about. For example, if you've asked for a change of vehicle, the new vehicle isn't covered yet, or if you've asked to add a driver, they're not covered to drive yet. Please wait until we contact you to confirm your policy has been updated before you change the way you use your ........."

Guess I won't be renewing my insurance with this company when the time comes. Sadly I didn't read reviews beforehand! Lesson learned.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I can see why any company would love people to do things online, not only from saving employee costs but avoids the issues when the employee bodges the spelling of the name etc avoiding the second call and/or other problems. I'm surprised they simply can't do it over the phone though.

The first time we did self service online it was a con, all it really did was generate an email to customer service asking them to key the change (at that point we limited it to things which wont impact the premium like change of name) so there was a delay between submission and action but it wasnt a relevance because its not premium impacting it wouldnt have been anything major. 

Sounds like some are still using basic online systems, whilst you've paid the £35 admin fee you may get a communication that there is a premium change too when they get round to actioning it. 
  • pseudopensioner
    Options
    Hmm, email sent requesting update on progress. 

Response  "Thanks for your email. We aim to reply within 36 hours. However, if we need to investigate your question it may take longer.

If your email is about a change you would like to make to your insurance policy, your change will not take effect until you receive confirmation from us."

Helpful? Not.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been using Swiftcover which is Axa's online presence for years and it's super simple.

Add and remove drivers, renew, even adding another car to the policy for a short time is easy and for me, it's as cheap as I can find anywhere else. 

I have even had to use their portal for a claim, often a worrying time but it when so smoothly.
  • pseudopensioner
    Options
    I can see why any company would love people to do things online, not only from saving employee costs but avoids the issues when the employee bodges the spelling of the name etc avoiding the second call and/or other problems. I'm surprised they simply can't do it over the phone though.

The first time we did self service online it was a con, all it really did was generate an email to customer service asking them to key the change (at that point we limited it to things which wont impact the premium like change of name) so there was a delay between submission and action but it wasnt a relevance because its not premium impacting it wouldnt have been anything major. 

Sounds like some are still using basic online systems, whilst you've paid the £35 admin fee you may get a communication that there is a premium change too when they get round to actioning it. 
    You were correct re the premium charge!

"We Have Received Your Request To Add ********* To Your Policy. To Go Head With

The Change There Would Be An Additional Premium Payable Of £68.24 Which Includes Our £35

Admin Fee.

Please contact us on........."

So they can't add the driver via the phone but I must phone them if I wish to accept. I'll have to be particularly careful in the month prior to renewal to ensure they do not renew automatically. 

I'm having difficulty in finding a copy of their Terms & Conditions.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback