Getting local authorities to approval Ultrafast Fibre installs

hello

i live in Hackney, east london and run a business. In our area we've literally only just had Openreach install ultrafast FTTP broadband.

Checking the deals from BT, Plusnet, Sky Voda... they're incredibly expensive, in part because  Openreach charge providers to hire the lines.

Ideally I'd sign up for much cheaper Community Fibre or Hyperoptic, and apparently the work to install cables is "half done" according to their CS people. However, it appears Hackney council are sitting on approvals to complete work

Long shot but does anyone have experience of working with councils to get them to hurry up and approval further rollouts like this? Our business needs quicker broadband but not at extortionate costs

thanks

Comments

• Are you sure they are that much cheaper for a business broadband service? 
  • Have you double checked the costs with Hyperoptic or Community Fibre? Are you occupying the ground floor of a block of flats or such?

Over here in Southwark there are a lot of properties that are, or at least 5 years ago were, copper straight to the exchange and dont go via a cabinet. As such when we moved here we could get about 2mb/s broadband and no option of FTTC (there is no cabinet) and FTTP wasnt in the area. 

A local business was complaining a few years ago about their internet for the same reason, they are in a freestanding former pub with just their own offices and kitchens above. They contacted Hyperoptic as they live locally and use it at home but whilst the monthly charges were high but ok the install costs were many thousands and a deal breaker. 
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 September 2023 at 3:27PM
    Business fibre: you may want / need duplicate provision.  Ideally diversely routed so as not to get single point failure.

Or some other mechanism.

Talk Talk full fibre https://business.talktalk.co.uk/internet/business-full-fibre seems to be circa £26 to £32 + vat.  Whether that is over Openreach or even available in Hackney I have no idea.

BT seem to be up to around £34 + vat but include a phone line and 4G backup.

I would not call that extortionate, myself.

You should see what Openreach charge for TV and Radio broadcast circuits!
  • Are you sure they are that much cheaper for a business broadband service? 
    On balance - for a business run from home - they are. £40 a month for vodafone for 500mb download speed, vs £20 pm for assymetric 1gb up and down on Hyperoptic. Its the Openreach thing - will always be more expensive
  • Rodders53 said:
    Business fibre: you may want / need duplicate provision.  Ideally diversely routed so as not to get single point failure.

Or some other mechanism.

Talk Talk full fibre https://business.talktalk.co.uk/internet/business-full-fibre seems to be circa £26 to £32 + vat.  Whether that is over Openreach or even available in Hackney I have no idea.

BT seem to be up to around £34 + vat but include a phone line and 4G backup.

I would not call that extortionate, myself.

You should see what Openreach charge for TV and Radio broadcast circuits!
    Thank you - useful info. The thing is that its a mix of business and personal usage - i know I know.

Talk Talk, Voda, EE etc all use the OR backbone. Hyperoptic, CF, G Network all have bespoke cabling (or use City Fibre)
  • gypsymoth said:
    Are you sure they are that much cheaper for a business broadband service? 
    On balance - for a business run from home - they are. £40 a month for vodafone for 500mb download speed, vs £20 pm for assymetric 1gb up and down on Hyperoptic. Its the Openreach thing - will always be more expensive
    According to their website it’s £55 pm for a business service. 
  • gypsymoth said:
    Do you need a dedicated business internet connection if you are running it from home? Why not use your domestic connection, like everyone who's WFH does, and have a mobile router as backup if the line goes down?
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I repeat.  
    It is not imho extortionate.  Domestic is not dissimilar price without service guarantee a business contract provides. Plus it's a tax deductible business expense.

TT have used a mix of fttp providers I believe, depending on location.

Your local Councillor will be someone to talk to wrt to Council holdups .. But disruptive roadworks to install ducting they like to coordinate works from all Utilities at the same time?  Plus the fibre companies may have priorities elsewhere, so you would need to ask them, too.

Pragmatically pay more short term and switch when other more competitive offers can actually supply you with a service?
  • gypsymoth said:
    Do you need a dedicated business internet connection if you are running it from home? Why not use your domestic connection, like everyone who's WFH does, and have a mobile router as backup if the line goes down?
    Hello - I didnt say I needed a business internet connection. My question was always about using a domestic connection for business as well, but I want a faster one and preferably cheaper than Openreach options. All explained above!
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 2,982
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 September 2023 at 4:34PM
    Hyperoptic  500Mb , £40/ month ., that is £960 for 24 months 
    BT 500Mb , 5 months at £ 22.50 then 19 months at £45 , that is £967 for 24 months 
    Or put another way less than 30p a month difference 
    Your definition of extortionate is way off
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport