Unlicensed vehicle fine

Options
Hi
i bought a car that was not roadworthy and was kept on a private drive. It was never driven and would be towed to and from the garage when needed or looked at by a mobile mechanic. I went to tax it when it was almost ready but couldn’t so rang Dvla who told me the logbook i have is an old one which explains why even though it was filled and sent to Dvla they didn’t issue a new logbook and it wasn’t the most recent logbook. 

The person I spoke to at Dvla advised me to apply for a new logbook and once o receive the new logbook I can then tax the vehicle. 

I did this and didn’t receive a logbook for 3 months. After which I called Dvla and the issued a replacement. 

I have now received a fine for failing to tax or sorn this car. 

I appealed and explained I couldn’t do anything without the logbook or tax reminder. And as soon as I had a logbook I did sorn the vehicle. 

But they’ve rejected my appeal. 

Ia there anything I can do. The car has always been off road and never driven whilst I’ve had it. 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you not SORN it once purchased, which is when it should have been done.
    Life in the slow lane
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a little side note..  Towing it on the road would have required it to be road legal also. 

Takes time to contact the previous owner to find out if they really did sell the car and make
    sure it was not stolen etc.

The previous keeper gets 30 days to respond to the notice that someone applied for the V5C
    without the new keeper slip/number.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mohammadb1234
    Options
    Did you not SORN it once purchased, which is when it should have been done.
    As I had an invalid log book I couldn’t. I had to wait for the new logbook to be sent. Which I assumed would come automatically as we filled the old one in together and seller sent it off. Car was off road so I didn’t take notice the logbook hadn’t arrived until it was ready for an mot. Tried to tax if then but Dvla said you need to apply for a new logbook and once it arrives you can then tax it. 
  • mohammadb1234
    Options

Just a little side note..  Towing it on the road would have required it to be road legal also. 

Takes time to contact the previous owner to find out if they really did sell the car and make
    sure it was not stolen etc.

The previous keeper gets 30 days to respond to the notice that someone applied for the V5C
    without the new keeper slip/number.

It was on top of a tow truck so would be ok without tax and not. 
  • mohammadb1234
    Options
    *without tax and mot. Also never kept on road. Either in my driveway or in a garage
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    *without tax and mot. Also never kept on road. Either in my driveway or in a garage
    In a driveway or garage, unless exempt or SORN, it would still need to be licensed. Which would be the reason for the DVLA's claim
  • mohammadb1234
    Options
    In a driveway or garage, unless exempt or SORN, it would still need to be licensed. Which would be the reason for the DVLA's claim
    I understand but I was never able to actually tax or sorn as I had the wrong documents. The seller filled in the wrong v5. He must’ve misplaced it and just used an older one. But I was not aware of this. I did try and tax it on 2 occasions but needed the new logbook. 

I’d pay the fine if it was small but they want £344
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    It may depend on the time between your buying the vehicle (the time you were required to license or SORN the vehicle), and when you tried tax it when it was almost ready.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you try to SORN  at the time you bought.?

Had the previous owner Sorned it , if it was unroadworthy?

is the fine for the period since it was last taxed ( by the previous owner) and when you taxed it?

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I understand but I was never able to actually tax or sorn as I had the wrong documents. The seller filled in the wrong v5. He must’ve misplaced it and just used an older one. But I was not aware of this. I did try and tax it on 2 occasions but needed the new logbook. 

I’d pay the fine if it was small but they want £344
    It's still possible to declare your vehicle as SORN without a V5C. If you've just bought the car, you might not have a full logbook yet. However, you can also use the reference number from your V5C/2, which is the slip the seller should have given you when you made the purchase.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback