How does an ISA work?

Hello, 

I'm looking at a Barclays 1 year flexible ISA and currently only have a standard savings account. 

I notice the account pays a fixed rate until maturity and then the account reverts to s instant access ISA. 

Could I change this to a different fixed rate barclays ISA in a year's time? Or would I open a new ISA?

Comments

• tony3619 said:
    Hello, 

I'm looking at a Barclays 1 year flexible ISA and currently only have a standard savings account. 

I notice the account pays a fixed rate until maturity and then the account reverts to s instant access ISA. 

Could I change this to a different fixed rate barclays ISA in a year's time? Or would I open a new ISA?

You could do either.

But to retain the tax advantages you would need to transfer the funds from Barclays ISA to a new one.

If you withdrew the money and paid it into a new one that would be classed as new money and would mean you couldn't open another new (cash) ISA.

A transfer isn't new money so you could still open a new one (if needed).
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,146
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    tony3619 said:
    Hello, 

If you scroll through the forum, you will see lots of questions and answers regarding ISA's. You will soon be an expert!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback