Water meter isolator.

Options
oldagetraveller1
oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,271 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 19 September 2023 at 11:06AM in Water bills
Before I make any enquiries and if anyone knows the answer, here goes.
Severn Trent changed an existing water meter a few years ago (internal battery dead) and at the same time their contractor fitted a 15mm stopcock after the meter to isolate it from the house side.
Said stopcock has started leaking from the spindle gland. Tried nipping up the gland to no avail. The stopcock isn't seized.
Now the question, bearing in mind they had it fitted along with the meter, who's responsibility is it to fit a new stopcock? The meter is their property, so surely the stopcock they fitted is too?
Why should I have to pay for it's replacement?

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Now the question, bearing in mind they had it fitted along with the meter, who's responsibility is it to fit a new stopcock? The meter is their property, so surely the stopcock they fitted is too?
    You didn't check out your water company's website before asking here did you?

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/tap-water/my-water-pipes/water-pipe-responsibility/

• barbuda
    Options
    Hi, you don't need a new stoptap, it is a common problem.
    Just loosen the gland nut and slide it along the shaft (old towel below to catch any drips, but won't be much).
    Then wrap ptfe tape about 4 times clockwise round the bottom of the shaft where the nut used to sit, slide the ptfe to the bottom of the shaft into the space where the nut used to be, and then refit the nut.
    The nut will compress the ptfe and the gland should be good to go.

• oldagetraveller1
    Options
    barbuda said:
    Hi, you don't need a new stoptap, it is a common problem.
    Just loosen the gland nut and slide it along the shaft (old towel below to catch any drips, but won't be much).
    Then wrap ptfe tape about 4 times clockwise round the bottom of the shaft where the nut used to sit, slide the ptfe to the bottom of the shaft into the space where the nut used to be, and then refit the nut.
    The nut will compress the ptfe and the gland should be good to go.

Which is a temporary fix. Already carried out. Still doesn't alter the fact that the gland seal has failed. The washer or it's seat are leaking past too. Why should the homeowner have to do that anyway?
    I did check their website and it's not clear with regards this stopcock they fitted along with the meter. Changing the stopcock possibly requires the meter removing to enable enough movement at the stopcock. Of course only STW may do that because the meter connections are tied with anti tamper wire and a seal.
    It's all academic now. They're attending to replace their stopcock on the 28th.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback