Barclays Blue Reward

Options
I've now reached the position that my blue rewards saver is my lowest interest rate easy access. So in order to maintain my payments to my remaining regular savers (@ +5.5%) I need to empty my rainy day account.
When and how is it best to exit blue rewards? Is it best to close on the second working day? or does it matter?

Comments

• surreysaver
    Options
    Why not just leave it in place to save the aggravation when you need it again?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Descrabled
    Options
    Ms Descrabled is concerned that if (when) I pop my clogs she will be left with a myriad of accounts to sort-out. She is pressurising me to reduce the 60 off accounts we each hold.  I have been able to keep accounts that are useful up to now. However:
    1. The 4 digital regular savers (2 each) are almost full, therefore we no longer need half a dozen credit cards that are used for small purchases and are paid by multiple £1.01 debit card payments.
    2. These debit cards provide the direct debits that are only used for the 2 Barclays accounts.
    3. Ms Descrabled will next year be hit with an increased tax payment (interest received has tripled) so her net company pension will reduce below the 2 off £800 transfer from Halifax through Barclays each month.
    4. Barclays removed both our arranged overdrafts earlier this year so making same day in/out standing order transfers not usable.
    5. I am fed-up with the contortions required by Barclays.
    The main changes will be next April when £40000 from our regular savers will be moved into ISAs. This years ISAs were fully funded in April this year.
    So Barclays Blue Rewards goes. Barclays current accounts become unused and then goodbye.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gosh sounds like a full time job. I just shove everything in a couple of accounts and forget it 
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 September 2023 at 9:43AM
    Options
    I probably wouldn't worry about it. Once you've emptied the Rainy Day Saver and claimed the last bit of interest, just close or switch the Barclays Current Account away. Or just switch Blue Rewards off and keep the account open but not doing anything. If you lose £5 by doing that, so be it, but you should get it the following month after switching off Blue Rewards I believe?

EDIT:
    Just reading the T&Cs, because they don't charge you the fee until your second month of joining Blue Rewards, you should just be able to cancel it you you won't have lost anything.
    Might want to empty your Blue Rewards Wallet first, though 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

So Barclays Blue Rewards goes. Barclays current accounts become unused and then goodbye.
    In the past Barclays have automatically closed Blue Rewards accounts if the customer was no longer benefitting.

I think so long as I was getting the DD benefit to offset the monthly fee, I'd probably let Barclays do the shutting down for me.  Either the automatic process above, or because the linked current account has been closed.

If they charged you a monthly fee you got no benefit for* then I'm reasonably confident they would be willing to offer you at least £5 as a goodwill gesture if you complained to them.  My overall impression is Barclays are terrified of winding up with another mass misselling claim over their add-ons (such as Blue Rewards) - hence them being proactive and closing BR accounts if they aren't working to the customer's net benefit. (*if you proactively close the account in a way which deprives you of a benefit they may be less generous in refunding the fee)
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You might want to read this thread from when people closed it last year
    FWIW I closed mine 04/03/2022 just after I received my fiver 02/03/2022 and wasn't charged in April
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    I'm leaving the Blue Rewards setup as is with a tenner in the RDS on the off-chance that Barclays react to Santander and increase the rate to something, er, interesting. 
  • Descrabled
    Options
    Thanks ColdIron.
    Will close mine on either 5-10-23 or 6-11-23 and move direct debits in the next month.
  • subjecttocontract
    Options
    I can't see the point of me closing this account.
    The best Easy Access account is Santander at 5.2%
    Barclays is 5.12% ......the difference is £4 a year......not worth the effort
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,389 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I can't see the point of me closing this account.
    The best Easy Access account is Santander at 5.2%
    Barclays is 5.12% ......the difference is £4 a year......not worth the effort
    Yes and I'm far more confident that Barclays isn't going to block my accounts at any random moment so I think it's worth it for that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback