Tyre destroyed by pothole. Claim company asking for my insurance?

Options
Adamc
Adamc Posts: 440 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I've raised a claim to be reimbursed for a tyre I blew out on a pothole. I know not to hold my breath. The claims company Zurich are asking for my insurance details. Is this justified and necessary? I've just renewed so will they want my previous insurer or current? It was my previous insurer covering me at the time of damage so I'm assuming their's would be the details required. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are obliged to tell your insurers of all incidents, did you inform your old insurer and/or your new insurer?

You may well find that they will be intending to let them know for you, your old insurers may not be so interested but your new insurers would be very interested in your false declaration if you didn't mention the incident when getting the quote.

In theory if you dont provide them then their systems would be able to pull them from MID however not sure the exact terms of MID and if this would be an allowable reason to access it
  • Adamc
    Adamc Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    I actually didn't tell my insurer as I didn't know it was required. I just got the tyre swapped. Is there any merit in aborting the claim or sticking with it? I'm assuming they'll register it still?
  • Car1980
    Options
    Just send them your old insurance details. 
    Doesn't affect your new lot - you gave them all the details for the policy in good faith.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/pothole-claims/
    No mention of notifying your insurer in the guide is there?

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car1980 said:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/pothole-claims/
    No mention of notifying your insurer in the guide is there?

Er, yes there is, there's a whole section about it.

• LightFlare
    Options
    Playing Devils Advocate - the guide does use the word “consider” not “you must”
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed. Y0u should always "consider" before commiting a crime.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Car_54 said:
     A crime! Really 
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    Car_54 said:
     A crime! Really 
    Really. Fraud. Defined as making a gain by failing to disclose information. 'Gain' is defined to include avoiding a loss, which is the only reason for anyone knowingly not to advise their insurer of an incident,
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 September 2023 at 3:36PM
    Options
    The way I read the guidance is that there may be no requirement or obligation to inform an insurance company, but the inference is that you should consider doing it.

Otherwise, the wording  could be “re-consider NOT informing them” if the suggestion is that you should

There is a lot in the interpretation of that guidance (much like a lot of the info on this site)

The only way to get a100% accurate answer is to read your policy docs and/or speak to the ins company. The requirements may well differ between them.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 September 2023 at 3:46PM
    Options
    The reason is that the council will report hitting thr pot hole to your insurance as an at fault accident, which is what it legally is, you will be regarded as having had an accident that was your fault. Generally the implications of that, together with the very limited circumstances you can claim from a council or thr Highways Agency for damage mean that it is almost never worth trying to claim. 

As for the insurance companies, they regard hitting a pot hole in a way that causes damage and it is and expect it to be reported to them as an at fault accident, they do not differentiate between you hitting a pothole, a kerb, or a tree.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback