Unsure which heating system to purchase

Options
2»

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you install an electric wet central heating system, you will probably make your EPC worse than it is now.  The EPC is based on how much it will cost to heat the property, not how "green" it is.
    Electric boilers are cripplingly expensive to run.  You can't realistically run on E7, because you'll only have heating at night, so you have to use up vast anounts of standard rate electricity instead.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    An electric flow boiler is marginally less expensive to run than burning £20 notes in a grate.

They are ideal for landlords who don't have to pay the running costs but will cripple the consumer who does because you have to use full price leccy at peak times.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Install an LPG system
    In a 2-bed flat?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Sorting_Hat
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Install an LPG system
    In a 2-bed flat?
    Have a tank feeding the building with a meter for each flat.
    The LPG firm could run it as a mini metered estate.

• lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 970 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Install an LPG system
    In a 2-bed flat?
    Have a tank feeding the building with a meter for each flat.
    The LPG firm could run it as a mini metered estate.

I maybe wrong, but I can't see the OP wanting to get involved in organising a shared LPG supply to multiple flats.

If it was me, I would look at three options :
    1. Make sure the old storage heaters are working correctly and get any failed heating elements replaced (lowest cost option).
    2. Get quotes to upgrade the old storage heaters with modern high retention storage heaters (probably mid cost option and makes property more attractive to let).
    3. Get quotes to install a mains gas heating/hot water system. (probably highest cost, but makes property even more attractive to let).
    For a small 2 bedroomed flat that will ultimately to be let, I wouldn't go down the heat pump route as I think it could scare off potential tenants.

I could be wrong, but I suspect there will be an avalanche of complaints and bad press over the coming winter and into next year from householders who are finding their heat pump conversions very expensive to run. Installed correctly and with a high level of intervention from occupiers who really understand how they work, I am sure they can deliver cost efficient heating. But sadly I think there will be considerably more people dissatisfied than satisfied. 
  • matt_drummer
    matt_drummer Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 September 2023 at 8:12PM
    Options
    lohr500 said:
    lI could be wrong, but I suspect there will be an avalanche of complaints and bad press over the coming winter and into next year from householders who are finding their heat pump conversions very expensive to run. Installed correctly and with a high level of intervention from occupiers who really understand how they work, I am sure they can deliver cost efficient heating. But sadly I think there will be considerably more people dissatisfied than satisfied. 
    I think you are correct.

I had a heat pump installed in June this year.

I am very engaged with the subject and did a ton of research.

I am mechanically minded and understand how everything in my life works down to the last detail and I am confident in fixing anything at home.

Having said all of that, I head into winter with a slight nervousness, a sense of heading into the unknown. Did I get everything right? Time will tell.

Fortunately I am not so concerned with the cost as I can afford whatever it costs.

I hope my predictions and calculations are correct as it has really been a project for me to see what was possible.

But if you are not like me and costs really do matter and you don't understand how stuff works you could be in for a rough ride with a heat pump, depends on the installer ultimately.

If you move from a gas or oil boiler to a heat pump then it will demand a lot more home owner engagement and a complete change in mindset.

No more high flow temperatures and running the boiler for as little time as possible, it's all about low and slow.

I am sure many people install a heat pump, see the electricity use at start up and turn it off in fear as soon as possible.

• Newheight13
    Options
    Thank you all for the great feedback and advice. I don’t want to cripple the tenants so I’m going to get gas put in at the property and play is safe for the next few years, at least! 
  • Sorting_Hat
    Options
    If you are in a city and there is mains gas in the street you may not need to pay for the connection.
    I did'nt, my house was storage heaters as bought as the elderly people I bought from were scared of gas.  Cadent re-connected the house FOC, this involved digging up the pavement etc.

I hope this helps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure