Car hire after flight cancellation

Options
While on holiday, our return flight was cancelled due to a mechanical breakdown. We found a hotel for the night and then the next day were told that we would not be rescheduled to fly for several days and, due to scheduled runway repairs, would be leaving from a different airport 200 miles away. The next day we hired a car and drove to a location near the new airport. Due to the relocation we had to take a one-way car hire i.e. to drop off at the departure airport, but could not drop it off until the day we flew due to needing to move ourselves and luggage. We have now submitted a claim to our travel insurer. They have accepted the circumstances and are refunding other costs but will only refund one day's car hire, saying it's in the 'rules'. Our policy states that in the event of cancellation  “We will reimburse the Insured on behalf of the Insured Person for the additional cost of travel and accommodation necessarily incurred to return the Insured Person to (home)”. There is nothing in the policy or supporting documentation about refunding one day's hire only. I have argued the point but the insurer won't budge. Would appreciate any advice on persuading them to change their minds. 

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry - I don't understand - why did you need a car for more than one day if the airports are only 200 miles apart - I can sort of see their point?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would agree with DE_ and the insurance company.  I don’t think you have a claim for multiple car rental days. It was your choice to keep the car for longer than just getting between the two airports.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    While on holiday, our return flight was cancelled due to a mechanical breakdown. We found a hotel for the night and then the next day were told that we would not be rescheduled to fly for several days and, due to scheduled runway repairs, would be leaving from a different airport 200 miles away. The next day we hired a car and drove to a location near the new airport. Due to the relocation we had to take a one-way car hire i.e. to drop off at the departure airport, but could not drop it off until the day we flew due to needing to move ourselves and luggage. We have now submitted a claim to our travel insurer. They have accepted the circumstances and are refunding other costs but will only refund one day's car hire, saying it's in the 'rules'. Our policy states that in the event of cancellation  “We will reimburse the Insured on behalf of the Insured Person for the additional cost of travel and accommodation necessarily incurred to return the Insured Person to (home)”. There is nothing in the policy or supporting documentation about refunding one day's hire only. I have argued the point but the insurer won't budge. Would appreciate any advice on persuading them to change their minds. 

The text boldened above is the phrase you have to deal with.

Why was it necessary for you to drive to the place of the new airport several days in advance rather than staying where you were and just taking a one day rental to get you to the airport before your flight? If you cannot explain why that was necessary then it's understandable why they declined the additional days.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback