Septic Tank Problem

Options
We live in a semi which is 120 years old. We share a septic tank with our next door neighbours which runs int a soakaway and (we believe) feather drains on what was agricultural land adjacent to our homes. This worked well until last year when a massive housing development began on the agricultural land adjacent to our homes, compacting the earth where we think the feather drains are. We are now having to empty the tank more frequently and the smell is not good! We have approached the developer and the local council without much joy as there are no drainage maps from 120 years ago to prove our point. Severn Trent are willing to inspect to see if we qualify for connection to the mains under the S101A process but say it could take up to 5 years. Can anyone offer advice please? I don't understand why the building company can't just connect us up to the mains as part of the housing development or am I using too much common sense here?!

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We live in a semi which is 120 years old. We share a septic tank with our next door neighbours which runs int a soakaway and (we believe) feather drains on what was agricultural land adjacent to our homes. This worked well until last year when a massive housing development began on the agricultural land adjacent to our homes, compacting the earth where we think the feather drains are. We are now having to empty the tank more frequently and the smell is not good! We have approached the developer and the local council without much joy as there are no drainage maps from 120 years ago to prove our point.

Is there anything on your deeds to say if these feather drains exist, and establishing any rights for you or your neighbours? If not, you've got no leverage over the building company.
    I don't understand why the building company can't just connect us up to the mains as part of the housing development or am I using too much common sense here?!
    Why do you think the building company would shell out a four-figure sum to connect you to mains drainage without any legal obligation to do so?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback