Student Loan Repayment Vs Lottery Win?

Options
JakeHyde
JakeHyde Posts: 73 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 12 September 2023 at 8:07AM in Student MoneySaving
Hey guys,

If you haven't been very successful in your career and haven't earned enough to qualify for mandatory Student Loan repayments.  But then one day you are lucky enough to win a semi-significant amount, and are just about able to live off interest for the time being.

Does the student loan company have any right to demand repayment?  I was guessing when self assessment time comes around, if your interest reaches a taxable threshold, am I right in thinking any repayments would be deducted at the point?

I'd be grateful for any advice

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To be fair if I won a shed load of money I would be clearing the student loan straight off anyway! 
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    la531983 said:
    To be fair if I won a shed load of money I would be clearing the student loan straight off anyway! 
    I suppose £500k would earn about £25k interest. My student loan is close to £90k so I wouldn't pay it off with a £500k win. I would for a £5million win though.

OP, I'm not sure the student loans company would know you've had a lottery win unless you tell them, so probably wouldn't make demands. 
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • JakeHyde
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Interest in a savings acc. is much higher than the interest on a student loan, at least thats what Uncle Martin told me. 🤣🙈
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great dilemma to have!

I've asked the forum team to move this to the student board.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    JakeHyde said:
    Does the student loan company have any right to demand repayment?  I was guessing when self assessment time comes around, if your interest reaches a taxable threshold, am I right in thinking any repayments would be deducted at the point?
    See unearned income info here:

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • silvercar
    edited 11 September 2023 at 7:05PM
    Options
    As lottery wins are not subject to NI contributions, they also won't be subject to student loan repayments.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 September 2023 at 9:17PM
    Options
    JakeHyde said:
    la531983 said:
    Interest in a savings acc. is much higher than the interest on a student loan, at least thats what Uncle Martin told me. 🤣🙈
    Well yes but if I quit work off the back of winning millions and I still had a student loan debt I morally wouldn't feel right leaving it outstanding.
    I would pay the mortgage off so why not everything else? 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    silvercar said:
    As lottery wins are not subject to NI contributions, they also won't be subject to student loan repayments.
    @Silvercar but interest or investment income resulting from a lottery win might be subject to student loan repayments?
    The HMRC manual seems to say that you're liable to make repayments if you submit a Self Assessment tax return, even if your income is unearned and not liable to NI:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/collection-of-student-loans-manual/cslm16015 and following pages.
    Or am I mis-reading it?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • silvercar
    Options
    QrizB said:
    silvercar said:
    @Silvercar but interest or investment income resulting from a lottery win might be subject to student loan repayments?
    The HMRC manual seems to say that you're liable to make repayments if you submit a Self Assessment tax return, even if your income is unearned and not liable to NI:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/collection-of-student-loans-manual/cslm16015 and following pages.
    Or am I mis-reading it?
    Paging our resident expert @Ed-1. I thought a win wouldn't be subject to repayments as it wasn't earned, isn't subject to tax or NI. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not knowledgeable so only reading the links and comments from @QrizB and @silvercar.

Reading those sources, the win itself would appear not to be subject to SL deductions but the interest earned subsequently would appear to be subject to SL deductions.
    AIUI, the win would not require the individual to complete SA but the subsequent interest income (unearned income) would require SA.  
    The link provided appears to refer to SL deductions applying when unearned income exceeds £2k AND SA is required, which would be met in the case of living of interest / investment returns from the lottery win but not the actual win itself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback