We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any ideas as to what this tree is and is it dead ?

Options

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Possibly Malus 'Red Sentinel,' or one of the other faster growing kinds, popular with landscapers. Will take hard pruning.
    The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Possibly Malus 'Red Sentinel,' or one of the other faster growing kinds, popular with landscapers. Will take hard pruning.
    Googled that, this tree has never had red  fruit since I have been her February 2023, hopefully it will by the end of the year 

Thank you 
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    It's not that then, and it was just a guess. Does get blossom and if so, what colour?
    The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • MikeJXE
    Options
    It's not that then, and it was just a guess. Does get blossom and if so, what colour?
    Not seen any blossom 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    I'd agree with Dusty that apple or pear would be most likely (that looks like leaf scab).

A lack of blossom/fruit could simply be due to a frost at the wrong time or bloom wilt. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    Could be some sort of nutrient deficiency. Homebase have Empathy RHS After Plant Tree and Shrub at half price at the moment. Scatter a couple of kilos around that area and see if it perks up in the spring.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2023 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Looks like prunus, many of which have lost their leaves already in the high winds.

My guess is a winter flowering cherry, cerasifera Nigra or similar, which has dark leaves and only occasionally fruits. Certainly some in the local park gave only fruited once to my knowledge in the last decade or so. Presumably, lack of pollinators or just frosts.

Prune May to September. 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Im not sure what tree it is but it doesn't look in the best of health. Is it getting enough water/sunlight? It looks like it could still be saved but with winter coming it could be tough - might be best to cut your losses and get something new in.
  • MikeJXE
    Options
    DigSunPap said:
    Im not sure what tree it is but it doesn't look in the best of health. Is it getting enough water/sunlight? It looks like it could still be saved but with winter coming it could be tough - might be best to cut your losses and get something new in.
    It's not my tree and in my opinion it needs pruning. The tree and the hedge has been neglected. If you look at the first picture I posted and noticed the dark green in the centre area, that foliage was the hedge below found it's way up, I have cleared that out and the tree looks entirely different now. The hedge is evergreen but the tree is not. 

• DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah ok yes I see now. Perhaps pruning is your best bet then
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business