We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any ideas as to what this tree is and is it dead ?

Options
MikeJXE
MikeJXE Posts: 3,102 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

It was probably planted at the same time a the new build 2008

I has looked on it's last legs for a couple of months 

Approx 2.5m from the building and about .3 from a low wall you can't see on its other side.

The land is approx 75cm above the footpath that runs in front next to the  main road 

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It looks like it's desperate for water.
    A lot of dense planting around it it possibly can't compete.

Could do with a good prune.

Get to a smaller branch (easier said than done) and gently scrape a little patch of bark away.
    If you see green it's alive.
    But the main trunk may still be fine.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Take a closer picture of the leaves please.
    As above, it's clearly struggling to thrive, could be dehydration and subsequently aphid attack.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Take a closer picture of the leaves please.
    As above, it's clearly struggling to thrive, could be dehydration and subsequently aphid attack.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    You'll want to keep your privacy hedging, no doubt. In that case, drastic cutting back to create a smaller tree might help it survive drought conditions. It's also easier to provide a little water for something half that size.
    “Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.”
    ― Aldous Huxley
  • MikeJXE
    Options
    Strange how I put 2 more photos and they have disappeared 

A bit of context, I rent a ground floor flat facing south west and the tree is in front of my window, obviously blocking out the light, 

The hedge was 3 feet higher than it is now and I would like another foot cut off it. 

I would prefer the tree to come down thats why I ask what type is it and is it dead ?

• LessImpecunious
    Options
    It's clearly not dead as it has living leaves on it... :)
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Dead could be arranged, though?. >:)
    “Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.”
    ― Aldous Huxley
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like an ornamental prunus of some kind from the cherry/plum family. Could be on it’s way out by the looks of it, but they can struggle on for years looking rubbish.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 September 2023 at 6:18AM
    Options
    Without a look at the actual foliage it's difficult to hazard a guess at the type of plant this is, please take some photographs of the actual leaves and not a zoomed image of the plant - need to see the colouring and form of the leaves - some, but not all, appear to have serrated edges.
    Also, an idea of the girth of its trunk.
    I'm not entirely sure this is a tree, i'm thinking it's an old shrub, possibly Eleagnus, that has been left totally unattended and neglected.

• MikeJXE
    edited 18 January at 9:20PM
    Options

Without a look at the actual foliage it's difficult to hazard a guess at the type of plant this is, please take some photographs of the actual leaves and not a zoomed image of the plant - need to see the colouring and form of the leaves - some, but not all, appear to have serrated edges.
    Also, an idea of the girth of its trunk.
    I'm not entirely sure this is a tree, i'm thinking it's an old shrub, possibly Eleagnus, that has been left totally unattended and neglected.

Close up of leafs not zoomed, girth approx 60cm, first branch off about 6 feet from ground level

NOT the dark green leafs they are another plant 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure