Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Change of use planning applications

A speculative post but we have some land attached to our property (approx 10 acres) based in Wales. How stringent to councils tend to be on change of use for commercial ventures (i.e. holiday lets or static caravans)? 

We also have the option of some farm land which I gather is far more difficult to get change of use planning on? 


  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Forumite Posts: 17,015
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    How long  is a piece of string?

    It will depend on an individual council's policy. Some councils will welcome commercial ventures, others won't
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • eddddy
    eddddy Forumite Posts: 15,483
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You can probably make a pre-application enquiry to the council planning team to ask about the likelihood of getting planning consent. Take a look at your council's website for details. They'll almost certainly be a fee payable.

    If they reply positively - that's great. You can think about formally applying for planning consent.

    If they reply negatively - maybe you have to decide whether you give up, or whether you want to gear-up for a potential fight with the planning department, perhaps by getting advice from a planning consultant (for a fee).

    The planning consultant might say it's worth trying a fight, or they might say they think it's a no-hoper. 

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Forumite Posts: 12,082
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    "Change of use" has a very specific meaning in planning and an apllication is cheap and straightforwards. 

     Introducing holiday lets onto land is development which will require far more work for a planning apllication to be submitted and approved.  Lots of reports to be prepared.

    For an idea on what is required search a few local Council planning portals and try and find a recent application which is similar to your proposal.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards