No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - September 2023

Options

Comments

• Hodgepodge
    Options
    Watty1 said:
    Joining back in. Plasterer been and so bathrooms in upheaval again and I've been doing this month on minimal products. Need to sort through the stash.

Unused shampoos that I will not use (because I've switched to hairdresser recommendation for hair loss)  going into the hand wash bottle and I can actually open the cupboard door now without things falling out so I think an improvement there!
    Any shampoo I don't want gets decanted into my husbands bottle from Lidl (it's big and black). He's always amazed how long each bottle lasts him  :D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
  • Clutterbug07
    Options
    Thanks @ruby_eskimo - had a lovely trip to Valencia, beautiful place, and got to see some fam so it was great!

@Watty1 curious, what hair recommendations did they give you?  Mine has definitely been thinning a bit this last year or so   :(

UU
    • Sanex Zero Shower Gel (dry skin): already have replacement

Throw away
    • Lily Lolo mineral eyeshadow in Witchypoo: A loose black pigment powder that I NEVER use (occasionally Halloween)- it was originally a GWP a long time ago.  I'm binning, if I want/need a black for Halloween, I can use one in my palettes- black eyeshadow pressed into a pan = way less scary!
    • Peaches & Cream- eyeshadow in Mad Moiselle: Except its not really eye shadow, it's like a loose glitter with a hint of base colour.  Usually ends up all over my face and in my eyes when I apply to the lid even with a glitter gel, so I am binning.  When packed on it does look beautiful, but I just don’t like it, don’t even want to hate pan it!
    • Barry M Glitter Fixer Gel: I do like this, but this is OLD, and I am not planning to wear big chunks of glitter any time soon, so I am binning.  I think I was also wearing this and Madmoiselle on my eyes a few times around the time my allergic reaction first happened, so I am also a bit scared to use it also.
    Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • ruby_eskimo
    Options
    Oohh Valencia is on the list of places I need to go @Clutterbug07 so good to hear you had a good time.  Agree that pressed black shadow is definitely less scary to use.

@Watty1 hope you can get yourself organised soon after all the upheaval.

Have a couple more UU's to report again:

Versed Dew Point Moisturising Gel Cream - HG daily moisturiser, my skin loves this.  Have a replacement ready to go but I'm away for the weekend and found a mini ELF moisturiser so will be trying that.

Neal's Yard Bee Lovely Hand Cream - this came in a gift and I've really enjoyed using it.  Is pretty expensive for what it is, but that's NYR for you.  Lovely kind of chocolate orange scent 😋
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @Clutterbug07 For thinning hair the hairdresser suggested I try Nioxin.  It is a three stage treatment plan and then for adding volume when drying she recommended Moroccanoil Thickening Lotion

It does look better on this. I'm aware that despite also using Rogaine (jury out on if that is working) my hair is dropping out alarmingly but I am sticking with her proposals for a few months until I can afford to go somewhere and try on toppers and wigs.

UU:  three bottles of conditioner.  I have a very old blanket that I remember buying with my mother and grandmother at a mill in Wales.  I would like to redecorate my bedroom around it (shades of blue and violet).  It is welsh wool and has probably been mistreated since i bought it many years ago so I washed it and used vinegar but that didn't soften it up so I've now given it a deep condition with all the old conditioners I want to use up.   Its drying in the bathroom now.   I got the idea from reading here so I popped it in the bath and gave it a condition!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • pinkfluffybabe
    Options
    Another UU this evening: 

The Ordinary Niacinimide and Zinc. WBA. Onto next one.  
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • Watty1
    Options
    UU   Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar  I have replaced as UU all the various cleansers except a  Konjac sponge.   I love the konjac sponges but my experience is that they fall apart very quickly and am expecting this one to do the same so the Pekee bar will sit in the cupbard until it does.

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Clutterbug07
    Options
    Watty1 said:
    @Clutterbug07 For thinning hair the hairdresser suggested I try Nioxin.  It is a three stage treatment plan and then for adding volume when drying she recommended Moroccanoil Thickening Lotion

It does look better on this. I'm aware that despite also using Rogaine (jury out on if that is working) my hair is dropping out alarmingly but I am sticking with her proposals for a few months until I can afford to go somewhere and try on toppers and wigs.

UU:  three bottles of conditioner.  I have a very old blanket that I remember buying with my mother and grandmother at a mill in Wales.  I would like to redecorate my bedroom around it (shades of blue and violet).  It is welsh wool and has probably been mistreated since i bought it many years ago so I washed it and used vinegar but that didn't soften it up so I've now given it a deep condition with all the old conditioners I want to use up.   Its drying in the bathroom now.   I got the idea from reading here so I popped it in the bath and gave it a condition!
    Am sorry you're going through this, it sounds like not a lot of fun!  Hopefully the Nioxin will help!  Not sure what you're after for wigs, but Lush Wigs has some nice ones, and not too expensive.  Synthetic, but they do look good, I've ordered two from them before (fun coloured ones).

UU
    • Cetraben moisturising cream- 50ml: my basic b*tch face cream that's plain and doesn't seem to aggravate the allergies/eczema.  Already have a replacement, though I have realised I was a bit dim when I re-ordered it, cos apparently there's a bigger size one which I will pick up next month!
  • Watty1
    Options
    I've bought something else. Experimenting and using up made me see the benefits of a serum so I bought Belle Brighton Hyaluronic Acid Serum to try. I really liked some of the samples I had but they were a bit to expensive)

In an effort to stay on board with decluttering I threw away all the foam rollers I used to use for styling my hair (thanks for the Lush suggestion for a wig).    I'm saving up for a visit to a wig place to experiment as I bought a cheap topper and feel like a witch in it.  Toppik hair fibres are great though.

• Clutterbug07
    Options
    Throw away
    • I'm from - Rice Toner:   Unopened, and now expired.  Let this be a lesson to me- don't stock up on toners!!!

INS
    • Cetraben Moisurising Cream: 50ml:  Annoyingly they didn’t have the bigger version in store yday, but as I don’t want to risk running out, I picked up the smaller size again.  Technically it's unnecessary as I still have plenty, but it's an opaque container so you never know when it will finish, and due to the allergies I dont wanna risk it.  ALSO worth noting- I bought one of these at the start of Sept and it has gone up 55p in less than a month.  :#

I ordered some nail polish......
    • Colores de Carol nail polish in Truffle: A cinnamon brown with olive undertones linear holographic with Aurora shimmer.  Have been eying this one for over a year, and I finally caved
    • Colores de Carol nail polish in Falling Leaves: An olive green crelly with iridescent chameleon flakes, fairy flakes and chroma flakes.  Probably what might be classed as an ugly-pretty polish- looks beautiful to me for Autumn
    • ILNP nail polish in Nocturnal: A black base loaded with vivid blue scattered holo shimmer.  Been eying this one for a while too.  All TOTALLY unnecessary purchases

AND THEN, less than a week later I lost my mind and ordered MORE nail polish.  What possessed me!?!?! I'm so annoyed at myself for this.  I was tempted to not mention the polish purchases on here, frankly due to the shame of it, but I need to be accountable for my actions and own up to them.  And hopefully learn from them.

Gahhhh. and I was so proud of myself for not caving and buying one of the Odens Eye Helaween eyeshadow palette!   :'( 

• Polished for Days nail polish in Oogie Boogie: A neon (slightly muted) green base with pink to green shifting iridescent flakes and scattered holographic micro flakes.  For the spooky season
    • Painted Polish nail polish in Shrimply the Best: A champagne holographic microglitter mix in a salmon crelly base!  Also for the spooky season, it looks like a deeper slightly more pink orange.
    • ILNP nail polish in Comet:  Cosmic blue with an intense orange-to-green shimmer. ILNP make fabulous polish and I literally could not resist this- it looks STUNNING in photo and video and I can't wait to get this on my nails
    • Cirque Colors nail polish in Ethel (Kelli Marissa colab): Forest green Shimmergraphic™ with a red-gold-green color-shifting aurora shimmer and a scattered holographic effect.  I do love a green polish (am wearing a green now), and this looks like it will be a beautiful Christmas polish.

Polishes aside, I had been doing very well for the month of Sept- my purchases had only come to £65 (which is good for me!) and they were all replacements apart from that Ordinary Pycnogenol, and then I fluffed it up right at the end.  *sigh*.  Very frustrated with myself.  it's like I went 'well you can't buy/wear skincare at the moment, SO NAIL POLISH!!!!!!!!!!'

• Clutterbug07
    Options
    Have been paid now, so here's my month tallies for Sept:

In: 18 (7 unnecessary nail polishes, and 11 unexciting  replacements such as moisturiser, deodorant, SPF, dry shamp)
    Out: 15 (2 GA, 4 x TA, 9 UUs)

So I have 3 more items in my possession now than I did at the start of the month (well, my polishes haven't actually arrived yet, but in theory).  Must do better next month, and no more nail polish!  :D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport