No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - September 2023

Options
Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Thanks to Me for starting last month's thread.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!) 

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes, and cupboards! 

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

Also, why not reward your efforts by banking and recycling your use ups/throw aways with Boots scan2recycle points at participating Boots stores: Recycle at Boots - Get rewarded for recycling - Boots 

Alternatively, simply drop them off at Maybelline Recycling points: www.maybelline.co.uk . Unfortunately, you won't be rewarded for the latter but the earth will thank you :-)

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest! 

Good luck all for this month and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy! 

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again

UU - Use Ups

IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!

NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample

WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!

Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies! 

PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!

Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!

GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item

HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!

NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)

LHJ- Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them

PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)

GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU

TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage

PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!
Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017

Comments

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PP List for September:

Carrying over from August

Bobbi Brown Java eyeshadow
    Nars Rikugien Lip Pencil 
    UD Last Call eyeshadow
    It Cosmetics CC Cream
    1 Body Lotion
    1 eye cream (I have 2 open at the moment...)
    Sephora beige eyeshadow
    DKNY Be Delicious perfume

New for September

TBS Shea Body Butter
    Neal's Yard Bee Lovely Hand Cream

August was a slow month for me, 19 UU totalling £109.61.  I have lots of things that feel like they're almost done but who knows 🤷‍♀️  Hoping for some more movement in the challenge anyway.  Quietly confident that I might be able to make it through the hand cream and body lotions at least.
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2023 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread ruby_eskimo - am back in for September

September PP List (more everyday stuff):

Fresh grapefruit shower gel
    Caudalie Grape Water
    The Ordinary Niacinimide and Zinc
    Aveda Nutriplenish Shampoo
    Aveda Nutriplenish Conditioner
    Odylique Shampoo
    Laura Mercier Handcream
    Cerave Hydrating Cleanser
    Drunk Elephant Protini
    E45 Body Lotion
    Biossance Face Oil

Autumn List (more long-haul stuff):

The Inkey List PHA Toner
    Espa Lip Balm
    Chanel Coco Noir Perfume
    Burts Bees Cherry Lipbalm
    Phillip Kingsley Elasticiser
    Living Proof Healthy Dry Shampoo
    Drunk Elephant Juju Cleanser
    Drunk Elephant Pekee Cleanser
    Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia
    Laura Mercier Handcream

Got one UU already this morning:

Fresh Grapefruit Shower Gel. WBA. Onto a new one already 
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im back too.  Thanks@rubyeskimo for new thread.  My PP List carried forward 

The Inkey List Retinol serum - tube cut open but i only apply this every 4 days so maybe 2 weeks left yet. Have replacement in stash.

Skinsense Retinol serum - no way of knowing how much left.

Into The Night shower gel- about 1/5,th left

Eucerin eye cream - have to bend tube to release product.

MAC Primer - feeling very light now

ABC Body wash - on tge cusp

Aloe Vera shower gel - have this in a travel bottle which is half empty.

Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue - tube cut open and on the cusp.

Filorga eye cream- mini tube. Cut open.

Added
    Essie Good to go top coat

Dont think i need anything this month.

Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Clutterbug07
    Clutterbug07 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 September 2023 at 10:08AM
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread, @ruby_eskimo

PP list 23 for '23

12 items gone so far!  
    1. Tony Moly - The Chok Chok Green Tea Watery Skin toner- using as body toner since it is quite fragranced.
    2. Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Toner:  soon to start this one
    3. Vaseline Cocoa Radiant Body Oil
    4. Elf Jelly Pop Glow Stick
    5. LilyLolo Mineral Blush- Beach Babe:  so close to finishing this now!
    6. LilyLolo Mineral Blush- Goddess a deeper more rusty rose red colour, doesn't hugely suit me.
    7. Benefit Gogo Tint: bright cherry lip n cheek tint.  Might last a hundred years as you don't need much of it, and I can't see how much is in the bottle.
    8. Simple- Detox & Brighten Clay Mask
    9. Sugarpill loose eyeshadow in Absinthe:  A sparkly green, of which I have many and when I just swatched my loose ones this was my least favourite, so I am going to work on this one as I have had it a while.
    10. NYX Born to Glow in Light:  Is too oily for my face, don't love it. Would like it gone.  Have to force myself to use it.
    11. I'm From - Fig Boosting Essence:  Not far off expiry, so will use on body.
    12. I'm From - Rice Toner:  Expires by the end of Sept apparently so really do need to crack on and start using this one!  

UUs
    • LilyLolo Mineral Blush- Beach Babe:  Whoop whoop, PP UU- I have been working on this the whole year!  B)  It's a loose powder blush so I think you can more easily go a bit ham with it, so probably used up faster than a pressed blush would.  For some reason I have two more of this shade of blush, I don't understand why, it's a pretty bog-standard colour.  I think I must have not realised I'd bought it previously, and then also accidentally added two to cart. Doh.  So nice to finish a blush though, it feels like a huge achievement!
    • Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Oil Control Setting Powder - Natural Ivory:  Got this in Jan, I'm surprised it took so long to finish considering I powder every day and top up.  I'm glad this is gone, as I prefer the translucent
    • Rexona Active Protection+ Invisible anti-perspirant spray: Bought this when we were on holiday in July, my partner and I shared it when we were out there to save on space and cash.  It's basically Sure, under a different name- logo is the same

Have run into a slight problem already this month though- my skins having an allergic freak out again- it started feeling a bit tingly on my lip yday and I woke up this morning to reaction on the lip and neck. *sigh*  AND I hadn't even been using tonnes of product, have been keeping it fairly paired back since last time.  I *think* it might be the Skin1004 brightening ampoule- have been using it about a week now, and it's the only new item  :'(

Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • VALM
    Options
    First UU of the month - ABC Body Wash. Have more in stash.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • pinkfluffybabe
    Options
    Had a good UU morning today: 

Aveda nutriplenish conditioner. WBA. Onto a new one 

odylique gentle herb shampoo. WBA. Onto a new one
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • ruby_eskimo
    Options
    Over the weekend managed to UU:

Lush Jason and the Argan Oil shampoo bar:
    HG, have replaced with another one

Eco Warrior Shaving Bar: have been using this for a very long time and impressed with how long the bar lasted.  Have a mini travel shaving gel that I need to UU so will swap that in and then repurchase the bar when this is done

Sensodyne Deep Repair Toothpaste: have to use it, replaced with another from the stash.
  • Clutterbug07
    Options
    UU
    • Mad About Skin- Protect & Hydrate Sunscreen SPF50 PA++++ 100ml: got another of these on the way already.  Even with eczema/allergic reaction going on, if I'm in the sun I need SPF

Quite a few INs to report
    • Mad About Skin- Protect & Hydrate Sunscreen SPF50 PA++++ 100ml: not arrived yet, but here soon. replacement
    • Colab Dry Shampoo, Original, 50ml: for holiday, replacement of travel size
    • The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%: antioxidant serum (it feels like an oil in consistency though), shouldn't have bought, and now can't currently use anyway cos of the allergy thing.  Well that serves me right for buying something I shouldn't have, doesn't it!
    • Soltan Once Lotion SPF50+: replacement, current SPF would not last a weekend away and we're on holibobs soon.
    • Sure Invisible Aqua anti-perspirant deodorant - 250ml: replacement
    • Sure Cotton Dry anti-perspirant deodorant - 150ml: replacement travel deo
    • Sanex 0 Shower gel: replacement- current is running low
    • Cetraben Moisurising Cream: I have one of these already, but need more as apparently it is the only thing I can put on my face/neck right now. The whole range is designed for eczema skin, so it's basic and skin-friendly.  Pharmacist said to stop using E45, so I picked up another one of these when I was in Boots yday.
    • Nivea Double Effect Eye Make-Up Remover: I was going to get the Garnier yellow cap one on your recommendations, but due to the skin allergies, I have gone with this one again for now.  Replacement as current one is running low
    • Cetraben Moisture Protect Facial Cleanser (200ml): Totally paranoid now, so got this cleanser to use whilst my skin is still playing it.  It basically feels like the moisturiser, but you wash it off  :D  

Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • ruby_eskimo
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having allergy issues at the moment @Clutterbug07 Hope it sorts itself out soon

Have a long haul UU to report:

Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien - loved the colour of this but have had it a while and it needed to go.  And now it is gone!

Also have a couple of INs to log:

JVN Hair Leave in Conditioner Mini: my current leave in is almost done and bought this to try as I love the JVN styling products I've tried so far

JVN Air Dry Cream: this is my 3rd tube of this and I really like it

Patchology Rejuvenate Eye Patches: these were on sale and I needed some for an upcoming trip.

Versed Dew Point Moisturising Gel Cream: running low on my current one so this is the replacement.
  • VALM
    Options
     My PP List updayed

The Inkey List Retinol serum - UU replaced from stash

Skinsense Retinol serum - no way of knowing how much left.

Into The Night shower gel- about 1/5,th left

Eucerin eye cream - have to bend tube to release product.

MAC Primer - feeling very light now

ABC Body wash - DONE

Aloe Vera shower gel - have this in a travel bottle which is half empty.

Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue - UU replaced from stash

Filorga eye cream- mini tube. Cut open.

Added
    Essie Good to go top coat

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport