Sky Q need some advice

Options
We have long resisted Sky Q and still have happily used HD+ and old HD box hence multi room.
Just had email re new contract and wonderful savings, which actully are £5 month more.
But basically 18mth ago was told it limited us with savings having old equpment and old HD had no discounts savings.

I am somewhat confused by a Sky stand in local shopping center as bloke said it worked on 2 TV yet brother in law says no.  
Sky bloke said you can look at 2 tv's in differnt rooms but only record from one.

So questions on Sky Q...first does one box work only on smart TV's . 
Does one box work for 2 TV or just one TV ( at present have 2 boxes for 2 TV only one smart}
If it works on 2 tv do they charge multi room.

So for those of you who have had both old and Sky Q what are your thoughts and do you feel Sky Q could be better option or not.

To conclude I am struggling because hubby has totally washed his hand of speaking to Sky after last contract.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 August 2023 at 5:31PM
    Options
    With Sky Q you need a main box, doesn't matter if your TV is smart or not, just needs an HDMI input. Each additional TV would need a mini box, again smart TV not needed but an HDMI input is. A recording can be initiated from either the main box or a mini box, all recording are available to all boxes.

I switched to Freesat from Sky HD several years ago but moved back to Sky Q about 18 months ago when I got a 4K TV. I'm happy with Q.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For me, the change from HD to Q hasn't given us that much - more recording space, recording more channels at the same time and easier access to apps, but I do miss the reminder function that HD had. Unless they're offering you a deal, there may not be much reason to change. You'll only need a TV with an HDMI input, which most modern TVs will have. A mini box is needed to watch in other rooms.
    With Q, you don't own the box and any faults are down to to Sky to sort
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That you for this - will give Sky a try later in week.  Think weekend is a bad time, remember the last time was Easter last year and OH lost the will to carry on with the agent.  Sky customer service must be trained in this
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I switched from HD box to Sky Q last December - mainly because I negotiated the price back down to the (then) current package price and got free install - my HD box was failing (didn't tell them that) but I was prepared to get a 2nd hand HD box if they hadn't agreed to the same price.
    They tried to upsell me on a "free" mini box but our 2nd TV is not used much so wasn't prepared to pay multiroom sub.
    The main advantage I have found with Q ,is the ability on the odd occasion ,to record two programmes whilst watching a third channel - very useful when sports events clash.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Is not a major difference between Sky Q and its predecessors the ability to watch/record programs in UHD (& HDR)?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 August 2023 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Is not a major difference between Sky Q and its predecessors the ability to watch/record programs in UHD (& HDR)?

That might be a bonus if there was a lot of UHD content available.  And there isn't, it is fairly limited at this time:

• JSmithy45AD
    Options
    flashg67 said:
    For me, the change from HD to Q hasn't given us that much - more recording space, recording more channels at the same time and easier access to apps, but I do miss the reminder function that HD had. Unless they're offering you a deal, there may not be much reason to change. You'll only need a TV with an HDMI input, which most modern TVs will have. A mini box is needed to watch in other rooms.
    With Q, you don't own the box and any faults are down to to Sky to sort
    That sounds like a massive gain to me but that's just my opinion :smile:

For @Vegastare people seem to have skipped the fact that the 2nd TV is not a smart TV so Q will give them all of the Apps on that particular TV. The ability to record and watch the same programme from either room is possibly important for them.

You will need a multiroom subscription for two different TV's but I'd guess you already pay that anyway.

As far as I'm aware, having a HD box would only affect possible discounts on the Apps such as Netflix as you don't have Apps on an HD box(although it's been a long time since I looked at one).
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes to UHD - if you pay yet more - Think you have to upgrade to 2TB Q box for HDR as well!
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 September 2023 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.  We popped into a shooping center which has always had a Sky stand ti try and view Q would you believe the stand had gone.....think Sky might be feeling the pinch.
    Can I ask any advice on best time to phone for good deal.....guess weekend not a good time.  No idea what price should be the new wonderful deal that saves us £'s is actually £85 per month Sky HD plus and Sky HD multiroom sport signature and films( the latter we are thinking of ditching).

Many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure