Formal / Informal Meeting Minutes

Options
Due to health issues I am WFH. I attended what I thought was an informal check up meeting, which turned out (I didn't notice the wording change on an attachment, which is totally my fault) on the calendar invite to be a formal meeting with My manager and a member of HR. So I didn't have a union rep or partner with me as it was expected to be an update meeting.

Is it a requirement of HR to provide me with formal minutes of this formal meeting as there were some questionable comments/statements made. I have had two of these meetings now, Both times I have not received any minutes. I dont know whether to highlight the fact to HR or not, if not receiving it could help a potential future case, and now have had an off the record conversation under the threat of starting "the process" which is quite vague i know from HR offering 3 options which seems to me like pressure to decide, options being offered or suggested; a possible new role, termination on medical grounds or a without prejudice meeting.

Reading online a without prejudice meeting could could indicate a willingness by the employer to engage in an agreement to leave employment.

I've asked unite union for advice, but thought I'd just ask the question here also.
TIA

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest writing down all the questions you have and all the information/evidence your union rep will want to know before advising you.

How long have you been ill? What's the prognosis of a return/phased return ? Is WFH usual in your company or a special accommodation for you? Do you want to return? I'd certainly ask for minutes/notes of meetings so far. What's the company sickness policy? 

• bigbars
    bigbars Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    WFH wasn't a thing when I first joined many moons ago so wont be explicitly in my original terms/contract, but as WFH is now available since the pandemic I was permitted to remain WFH rather than be off sick. WFH as a function is available for all members of staff on a partial week / few days per week capacity.

Havent got a definitive return date which is what id expect has prompted HR to push this, i explained that I didnt want to prematurely offer a date until I was confident I was fine. I didnt want to ask for the minutes if I could use their not undertaking standard protocol in my favour. I did want to return or else I would have left, but some of the comments made and the tone in the last meeting has not sat well with me so i am re-considering that decision.
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
    I Hope you are keeping your own notes of these discussions??
  • bigbars
    First Post
    Options
    yes, but without formal minutes, it is merely for my own reference i would assume which is why i am only now thinking it could have been an error on HR's part, as you then move into he said she said territory. which could be fabricated on both parts without the minutes.
  • TheSpiddalKid
    Options
    It would be useful to clarify what policy or procedure they are suggesting this is being managed under, if you are WFH then you are working so this is not a sickness absence issue. it could still be capability as they may be discussions about if you can do your job whilst you are WFH. You need to clarify this so you know what to expect and how this is being managed. Once you can identify the policy procedure you will then know what these meetings are for and be able to better prepare for any in future. 
  • bigbars
    First Post
    Options
    The are trying to go down the capability route which they have openly mentioned yet not documented as no formal minutes, so I have spoken to Unite about this direction as they are clearly forcing the situation if I do not return. Which is coercion harassment in my opinion as they are basically saying they will start the medical grounds process as a means of termination. which to me answers the question why they have not minuted this.
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
      My understanding is that for minutes to have value as an accepted record, they should be circulated to all present then discussed and agreed.  As this hasn't happened then I don't think that the minutes, if they exist, will have any more value than your own notes.  You could ask if there are minutes, but you might just be making them aware of something they should have done but haven't.
  • RogerPensionGuy
    Options
    Reference minutes and notes.

I always make contemporaneous notes myself after any such interface between others.

I normally always date and time stamp them within 24 hours of the meeting or conversation, the closer the better to a degrees. 

These notes are my private records of what my recollection is of what I heard and said.

If at anytime in the future, I can choose to reference them or if I desire, share some or all notes contained. 

I've always found the above helpful on so many occasions and have rarely needed to share these notes with anyone. 

Cheers Roger. 
  • bigbars
    First Post
    Options
    Yes, Ive kept my own personal notes/minutes of all interactions, as I do with most formal meetings. did the same with a car insurance claim i have in progress to refer back to.

Just thought I would not mention it to HR as to not alert them to the procedure they hadnt followed in case of dispute. As like was said, I understood that minutes should be distributed and agreed by/to all parties upon termination of the meeting in a fair timespan, which has not been the case.
    I sensed the direction they were going by the change in behaviour and tone so anything that may benefit me in what is coming i thought i would hold to my chest as they say.
  • bigbars
    First Post
    Options
    As a without prejudice meeting is informal, is it a good idea to bring union representation?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback