Thames water opened an account in my name without my knowledge and chasing me for payments?

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, I've had a number ringing my mobile over the last couple of weeks, as it's a number I don't recognise I ignore it, plus I can't answer my mobile while working. Today the same number called while I was on a break so I answered, turns out to be Thames water which was a surprise to me as I've never had an account with them, the chap advised me I owed money on my account from September 2019 for a property I used to live in with my parents, I grew up in that address (25+ years) untill I moved out with my partner in 2020. My parents still live at this address, when. I started working I would pay rent but I was never responsible for bills so I'm shocked  Thames water is chasing me for payment.

I asked the chap how he got my details and how an account can be opened in my name if I've never spoken to Thames water, he advised if money is owed on an account then they can obtain information on people living at that address through credit agencies, this doesn't seem right and very unfair. I advised him that although I lived at the address at that time, the bill wasn't my responsibility, I never had an account with Thames water and that I've since moved out of the property so it's not my problem. The chap advised it was my problem as the account is in my name (even though I've never provided my details to Thames water) and if I don't pay up, it will affect my credit rating. He did advise If i could proof of moving out in 2020 (council letters/bills) then they could investigate the issue but I'm reluctant to provide any further information in terms of my current address as I suspect they will just use this information to send balifs to my house.

I did ask why are they not following up or chasing the overdue bill at the address of concern and if they have access to see who lives at an address then they should see my parents have lived at that address for 30 plus years.

How have Thames water been able to open an account in my name and obtain my details without my consent or permission, this doesn't seem fair at all, any help/suggestions please

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KR6789 said:
    Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, I've had a number ringing my mobile over the last couple of weeks, as it's a number I don't recognise I ignore it, plus I can't answer my mobile while working. Today the same number called while I was on a break so I answered, turns out to be Thames water which was a surprise to me as I've never had an account with them, the chap advised me I owed money on my account from September 2019 for a property I used to live in with my parents, I grew up in that address (25+ years) untill I moved out with my partner in 2020. My parents still live at this address, when. I started working I would pay rent but I was never responsible for bills so I'm shocked  Thames water is chasing me for payment.

I asked the chap how he got my details and how an account can be opened in my name if I've never spoken to Thames water, he advised if money is owed on an account then they can obtain information on people living at that address through credit agencies, this doesn't seem right and very unfair. I advised him that although I lived at the address at that time, the bill wasn't my responsibility, I never had an account with Thames water and that I've since moved out of the property so it's not my problem. The chap advised it was my problem as the account is in my name (even though I've never provided my details to Thames water) and if I don't pay up, it will affect my credit rating. He did advise If i could proof of moving out in 2020 (council letters/bills) then they could investigate the issue but I'm reluctant to provide any further information in terms of my current address as I suspect they will just use this information to send balifs to my house.

I did ask why are they not following up or chasing the overdue bill at the address of concern and if they have access to see who lives at an address then they should see my parents have lived at that address for 30 plus years.

How have Thames water been able to open an account in my name and obtain my details without my consent or permission, this doesn't seem fair at all, any help/suggestions please

I would reply to them in writing, say that you have never had an account at that address and that your parents live there and are  still have sole  responsibility for the account. Have you spoken to your parents about any outstanding bill which they might have? I had a real headache with TW (completely different situation to yours) but they eventually gave in and refunded me the disputed bill.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure it is Thames Water?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you live at a property you can be held responsible for the utilities supplied to that property.
    However, utility companies usually only follow up via address searches if there is no existing account or if the account is in arrears.
    Are you on good terms with your parents? If you are, are you able to contact them and see if they're up-to-date with their Thames Water payments?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback