NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

Billed from the wrong water meter

parejo2000 Forumite Posts: 4
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm with severn trent water and in June I received a email telling me my water consumption was higher than usual.
Waited for my bill in July and my payments had jumped from £52 month to £177 .
Rang STwater and they asked for me to read my meter.
After numerous phone calls we agreed on a engineer coming out because I couldn't locate the water meter which is outside.
Engineer arrives the same day another Stwater guy is changing all the water meters.  Eventually they both find the meter that has my meter number and realise this can't be my meter because it too far away from my property. 
They locate my actual meter and give me the correct meter number. 
A few days later I receive a new bill higher than the previous bill. 
I call stwater again stating that they can't conclude how much water I've used for the time I've been in my property unless they take my bills back from the date I moved in. 
Eventually they agreed. Received another bill taken back as I requested but it still has the old meter number for all dates and the new meter number from December 22. 
I've just called again and had the phone put down on me because the person on the other end didn't understand what I was requesting and when I told him he wasn't understanding what I was relaying and could I speak to the supervisor the phone went dead. 
This is obviously a shortened version. I have had many phone calls. Some helpful some unhelpful. 
I've sent a complaint email now. I just want to pay for the water I've used from the meter for my house. I asked for a re calculation because the meter I was being billed from was for a bigger property and double the people. 
Thanks for reading
Any advice welcome 


  • SaverRate
    SaverRate Forumite Posts: 856
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Good move making a complaint. Hopefully this gets resolved. If you dont get a resolution from your complaint you can then ask for a dealock letter and go to ofwat and put a complaint into them. 

    No reason why they cannot use your meter readings or estimate them based on your meter reads which will hopefully be far less than the larger property
    FTB - April 2020 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards