Changing car tax from Disabled to Normal

fgcann001 Forumite Posts: 12
Second Anniversary First Post
Can someone help - we have just bought my daughters first car from a dealer.  We have the V5C form as usual, but the tax class is disabled.  We need to change this, but don't seem to be able to do it online - how do we go about changing the tax class to normal and get her taxed so she can driver her car asap?  Many thanks.


  • lemondrops69
    lemondrops69 Forumite Posts: 343
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 August at 3:41PM
    If its an ex-mobility car you need to go to a post office and you can tax it there
  • marlot
    marlot Forumite Posts: 4,904
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    When we bought an ex mobility car, we had to do it at the Post Office.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Forumite Posts: 1,803
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As above it’s the post office.
    For both ways, well in 2016 it was.
    I purchased an ex mobility car in 1998 and in 2016 I switch our car to disabled.
    Just take the v5 or green slip, mot and insurance, pay for your tax and the v5 should be back in a few weeks.

  • morganthomas757
    morganthomas757 Forumite Posts: 1
    First Post
    I’ve been through this faff. Bought a car, disabled tax class. As it had ran out of tax, I couldn’t drive it until I’d sorted this out.

    Went to the Post Office, filled out a V62 and sent the green slip with it at the same time. I rang up the DVLA, and they advised me on the V62 to write Private/Light Goods. Ordinarily there is a separate form called a V70 to change tax class, but this is only if you already have the logbook (which I didn’t of course, seeing as I’d just bought the car.)

    I taxed the car (paying the full year’s tax) despite it showing as disabled on the system, and was advised by the DVLA to keep the receipt of tax payment in case I were to get pulled over. 

    For now, on the registration check, it does show as not being taxed, but I do have physical proof to show it has been paid. Undoubtedly until the logbook in my name is processed through, it will be the case. 

    A bit of an edge case scenario, but I thought my experience might help others.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards