Safe To Declare Myself "No-Need-For-TV-License"?

Options
Hello,

I recently deleted my BBC iPlayer account. I haven't watched anything on there for several months. 

I have a television on the wall, sure, with a freeview ariel unplugged, but it's there. Furthermore, I haven't watched freeview for several months. I have no intention to watch freeview. I would like to keep the television for Netflix and in case I ever invest in a gaming console. 

So long as I don't cheat and start viewing the freeview channels. The ariel is there. Do I need to do anything like snip the cable? Contact the landlord (I have a leasehold) or anything? 

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 August 2023 at 7:05AM
    Options
    If you don't watch live TV or iPlayer, you dom't need a licence.

No need to start damaging your AV equipment.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2023 at 9:00AM
    Options
    As said as long as you're not watching any live TV or using iPlayer then you are fine.  No need to do anything or tell anyone.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello,

I recently deleted my BBC iPlayer account. I haven't watched anything on there for several months. 

I have a television on the wall, sure, with a freeview ariel unplugged, but it's there. Furthermore, I haven't watched freeview for several months. I have no intention to watch freeview. I would like to keep the television for Netflix and in case I ever invest in a gaming console. 

So long as I don't cheat and start viewing the freeview channels. The ariel is there. Do I need to do anything like snip the cable? Contact the landlord (I have a leasehold) or anything? 

As others said provided you aren't watching iPlayer or live TV you dont need a license. If anyone ever does come to your door asking about it politely tell them to go away and certainly dont let them into your house. 
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You have no obligation to prove your innocence, no need to cut wires or unplug anything.
    I have not had a TV licence for years and have never had anything more than the odd letter.
    I just watch Youtube but as said if you get a knock on the door just tell them to go away and never let them in.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just cancel and you could get a refund, that will depend on how many full months you have left on the licence.
    If a goon comes to your door just ask who they are after they ask if you're the homeowner then tell them you don't need a licence and nothing more. If they try and engage you in a conversation just close the door.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Depending on who you live with/who visits, you may want to detune the TV and/or unplug the aerial.   It just prevents casual use of the TV for live reception possibly by someone who doesn't know/doesn't understand the concept of "No Licence".  

As above, definitely tell TV Licensing (best option is by phone), and get any refund due to you.   You just need to say that you don't need a Licence any more, and that you understand the "rules".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback