PIP appeal

Options
Hi back again! So I got my Mandatory Reconsideration Notice this morning and I haven't been awarded PIP. The man at the Citizens Advice who helped me did say this would probably happen and there was a good chance it would be awarded if I then appealed.
I have Long Covid and am constantly exhausted, along with many other symptoms, but I do manage to work every afternoon - basically to pay my rent and bills.
Any advice on whether to appeal would be appreciated.
The letter says 'we have decided the evidence indicates you have the ability to carry out the daily living and mobility activities used to assess eligibility for PIP to an acceptable standard. In making this decision we have considered your needs on the majority of days.'
Zero points on everything.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You were advised correctly that it's not unusual for MR decisions not to change. Yes, it's definitely worth appealing. Those that either appear in person or have a telephone video hearing have 70%+ chance of a decision in their favour. Paper based hearings have a considerable less chance of success. https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision/submit-appeal The only downside is the wait could be several months.

• dp1
    dp1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. I'll ring Citizens Advice on Monday to see if they can help me again
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why wouldn't you progress your appeal to an independent tribunal, you have nothing to lose? 

This is the form to lodge your appeal - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/appeal-a-social-security-benefits-decision-form-sscs1
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 August 2023 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Yes take their advice and appeal... all you have to lose is an amount of time and energy likely far lesser than already expended to face the ignorance of the DWP and their private contractors doing assessments. An appeal tribunal is likely to have a panel far more interested in actually getting the award accurate according to the evidence and facts of the case than those paper shufflers trying to earn bonuses or get to their lunch break.

Importantly focus on the inability to reliably compete tasks when trying to impress on others your difficulties... this seems especially relevant in the case of illness which as such may not stop you doing things but would stop you doing them to an acceptable standard, or in reasonable time or indeed repeatedly and possibly safely. To be considered able to perform a task you must be able to do so reliably which encompasses the 4 factors just stated in italics.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • dp1
    Options
    Thank you
    I spoke to someone at Citizens Advice today who has has started the appeal process for me. Someone will ring, hopefully tomorrow, to arrange a telephone appointment to discuss it. She advised me to continue making notes on how I feel Long Covid is affecting my life.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dp1 said:
    She advised me to continue making notes on how I feel Long Covid is affecting my life.
    Do be aware that they will not take into consideration any worsening of condition.

• dp1
    Options
    So I had my phone appointment with Citizens Advice this morning - it lasted almost 2 hours and we went through everything again. The lady I spoke to was really helpful and thinks I should have been awarded PIP. So she'll put all the information into a letter and send it to me to sign. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens next.
  • Charles_Foxtrot
    Options
    Be prepared that it may take a long time. Someone else here mentioned it took 14 months from initial assessment to tribunal being around 14 months. Our PIP odyssey from initial refusal, to mandatory consideration, to lodging appeal, to going to and winning appeal took about 13 months.
  • dp1
    Options
    Thanks - I sent the appeal letter last week so will just have to wait. It's 7 months since I first applied which doesn't seem too bad x
  • Charles_Foxtrot
    Options
    Hopefully it will be quicker for you. Our timeline was something like: 

June 2022 - initial application
    July 2022 - video assessment
    Aug 2022 - results - 6 points total, denial of PIP
    Sep 2022 - sent in request for MR
    Oct 2022 - MR refused
    Oct 2022 - lodged appeal with tribunal service
    Dec 2022 - Feb 2023 - got paperwork back and forth from the courts and DWP, evidence submissions, DWP calling for our case to be dismissed, arguments, etc
    March 2023 - June 2023: Radio silence
    June 2023 - Notified of date, place and time of tribunal 
    July 2023 - Went to tribunal, won the appeal, had a cuppa. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback