Elderly Mum has been charged for BT Sports.

Options
My widowed elderly mum has been charged a monthly subscription to BT Sports (TNT), even though I cancelled this service many months ago (possibly 18+ months), and the service hasn't been available throughout that time, having spoken to BT they have said they'll consider refunding three months even though I made them aware of this back in June, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Do you have confirmation of the cancellation?
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT did a similar thing with me - I was paying by Direct Debit so phoned my bank, told them the Direct Debit Guarantee had been broken by BT and they refunded me the money. This led to BT making contact with me but as I had all my money back and could provide proof of cancellation there was no negotiation needed. That may be an option if they decide to play silly buggers (assuming of course you have proof of cancellation).
  • southsidergs
    Options
    Matty007 said:
    My widowed elderly mum has been charged a monthly subscription to BT Sports (TNT), even though I cancelled this service many months ago (possibly 18+ months), and the service hasn't been available throughout that time, having spoken to BT they have said they'll consider refunding three months even though I made them aware of this back in June, any advice would be appreciated.
    How has it now been available? If they're charging for it it's usually available.

On the other point how has it taken you 18+ months to notice? Unfortunately it's down to the account holder to keep an eye on bills so their may not be much they can do about the charges as you've had so long to query anything wrong too
  • Matty007
    Matty007 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't say it is now avsouthsidergs said:
    Matty007 said:
    How has it now been available? If they're charging for it it's usually available.

On the other point how has it taken you 18+ months to notice? Unfortunately it's down to the account holder to keep an eye on bills so their may not be much they can do about the charges as you've had so long to query anything wrong too
    I didn't say it 'it is now available' ? I said it hasn't been available, the BT channels just say to watch them she'd have to upgrade her package.

That is the reason we assumed it had been successfully cancelled, if it was available then I think there is an argument that it is indeed my responsibility to ensure it has been cancelled.

I think irrespective of whether you think she or I were irresponsible by not double checking, it seems unfair that she had to pay for a service that wasn't available to her anyway. 

• Matty007
    Options
    jlfrs01 said:
    BT did a similar thing with me - I was paying by Direct Debit so phoned my bank, told them the Direct Debit Guarantee had been broken by BT and they refunded me the money. This led to BT making contact with me but as I had all my money back and could provide proof of cancellation there was no negotiation needed. That may be an option if they decide to play silly buggers (assuming of course you have proof of cancellation).
    I'm trying to locate proof, so currently I'm talking to them based on the service not being delivered anyway, we'll see.

Thank you
  • southsidergs
    Options
    Matty007 said:
    Matty007 said:

I didn't say it 'it is now available' ? I said it hasn't been available, the BT channels just say to watch them she'd have to upgrade her package.

That is the reason we assumed it had been successfully cancelled, if it was available then I think there is an argument that it is indeed my responsibility to ensure it has been cancelled.

I think irrespective of whether you think she or I were irresponsible by not double checking, it seems unfair that she had to pay for a service that wasn't available to her anyway. 

Was meant to say not instead of now, my bad typing. That actually makes things a bit clearer because if they've been charging but it's not been working & there's evidence of being charged I'd get back onto them & make it clear.

Re the last sentence, what's to stop anybody saying I requested to cancel years ago if it was that easy to be refunded hence why they'd only be offering a partial refund
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was this service provided via Sky ? If so ,did you give notice to Sky of the cancellation rather than BT ?
  • Matty007
    Options
    Matty007 said:
    Matty007 said:

Was meant to say not instead of now, my bad typing. That actually makes things a bit clearer because if they've been charging but it's not been working & there's evidence of being charged I'd get back onto them & make it clear.

Re the last sentence, what's to stop anybody saying I requested to cancel years ago if it was that easy to be refunded hence why they'd only be offering a partial refund
    The initial query was had they got any indication of cancellation, they say they can't find any, so I confirmed that my mum couldn't access the service even if she wanted to.

The point regarding 'anyone' might say the same, although a valid point, you'd of hoped that they might know the time my mum couldn't access their service as of today she still can't.

I have spoken to them today and they have offered 4 months refund, basically 2 months as my query started in June.

They could only locate communication from us to a BT operative on the 28/8/2021 someone called Gary but he doesn't work there anymore, having check my emails I received an email saying 'You've cancelled BT Sport', so we will see.
  • southsidergs
    southsidergs Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 August 2023 at 12:21PM
    Options
    In that case I'd be back onto them & asking for an email to send that proof of cancellation too, should then be able to refund it as sounds like clear proof
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback