Aircon servicing

Hi
I had my multi split aircon installed just under two years ago and was wondering about annual servicing. The company sends out a reminder each year but not sure if it needs it.
There’s an issue with one of the indoor air handlers dripping when used in cooling mode/hot weather.
It’s mostly used in heating mode though where this isn’t a problem.
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Sounds like one of your indoor units has condensation pump failure possibly.

I've had one of my units since 2013 and don't do anything to it other than clean the indoor filters and make sure the outdoor unit isn't full of leaves.
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 August 2023 at 1:40PM
    Sounds like one of your indoor units has condensation pump failure possibly.

The other two indoor units feed into a seperate condensation pump as the pipes go up to the loft and out.
    The drain for the problem one is level and just goes straight out through the wall. 
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    danrv said:
    Hi
    I had my multi split aircon installed just under two years ago and was wondering about annual servicing. The company sends out a reminder each year but not sure if it needs it.
    There’s an issue with one of the indoor air handlers dripping when used in cooling mode/hot weather.
    It’s mostly used in heating mode though where this isn’t a problem.
    Any help appreciated.

My Mitsubishi unit has a "clean" button on the handset I run it once a month when I clean the filters
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Which bit drips?  Most operating instructions warn about condensation forming on the louvres if pointed down to floor too much.  That would be 'normal'.

The condensation that form on the condenser fins of the indoor unit should all drip into a tray and exit via a pipe... moulds and dirt might grow and block that pipe a bit?  Flexi pipe usually so a wet and dry vac might suck that out - but may just pull the blockage further in the pipe?

AFAIK most aircon servicing is very little done that one couldn't do oneself.  Clean filters wipe over bits.  Spray stuff through the fins on indoor (with pleasant smelly stuff so) and outdoor units.  It may involve removing the cover / case of the indoor unit to do some of it.

Google / You Tube may have info for your exact make/model of aircon unit?  Or it may be worth calling in the installers to check things?
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Rodders53 said:

The condensation that form on the condenser fins of the indoor unit should all drip into a tray and exit via a pipe

Yes. Looks like the tray is overflowing. The drain pipe doesn’t seem to have any fall so I don’t know how it works on this indoor unit.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback