We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

WISE bank - Scam?

Options
2»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Send them tracking links which will show their true location.  Many forum scams currently also, so they have their
    fingers in many pies.

90% track back to the same 2 countries. They are usually easy to spot.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Carpchaser787
    Options
    Hi, This is definitely a scam, I have had it twice in the last day on FB Marketplace.

The buyer first asks if the item is still available, then ask's condition, then they say great, my sister / daughter etc. will pick it up as they are closer to you.

Then then ask do you accept bank transfer? and when you reply and give them your account details they say they have tried to pay but as they are sending from a business account it is requesting your email address. After you provide your email then then say they have sent the money but have had an email from the bank to say that the money is on hold as they need to pay an additional £500 to upgrade your account to a business account, and can they trust you to refund them. (You will get this email)

Then they will say they have sent the additional money and you will get another email from the so called bank to say the funds will only be released after you have transferred the £500 to them / or the bank.

As soon as you get anybody ask you if they can they pay you by bank transfer before even seeing the item or collecting be HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS!! 
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin said:
    As long as I've been selling on sites I've been inundated with scammers on places like facebook and Gumtree. The scams are changing as things evolve, it all used to be Western Union scams, now they use bank names- but they are basically all the same.
    They seem to be getting worse. I've been working on a few new projects and the amount of Spam and phishing is crazy. Shopify, Etsy, Instagram, Facebook are just free for alls as far as that goes. Etsy even allow accounts with names like "Etsy Support" to send unsolicited messages. I'm no fan of Amazon of late but they really do have their messaging tight that that rarely happens there. I get the very rare ones trying to sell me advertising help but nothing that would ever be considered phishing.
    I've been doing this for seven centuries now and was sucked in to believing someone was genuine last week. They fell at the part where I had to sign up for something and pay £2000 but they may have got £20 out of me it had been so convincing.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure