WISE bank - Scam?

Options
I had just sold a sofa on Facebook marketplace...not eBay - but I didn't know where else to post..the seller has paid me £100 (sale price) bu WISE bank...but I haven't received the payment - just an email to say that in order to release the payment they need him to send me another £200 - then I refund the extra £200 to him...does this sound like a scam??

I haven't received any money yet but they need me to refund £200 then will pay me my £100... 

Comments

• prettyandfluffy
    Options
    Sounds very much like a scam to me. Do not send any money.  Hopefully someone with knowledge o& this particular scam will be along to advise soon.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Wise is a money transfer service and not a bank, I cannot see any reason they would contact you as the recipient.
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A scam, you shouldn't release any goods until you have the actual cash showing in your bank account
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolutely definitely 100% a scam, it’s a pretty old one , did the rounds years ago and I thought it had died out.

just block scumbag scammer and try reporting to FB, not that they do anything! 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2023 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Rule of thumb: if you're asked to send money in order to receive money, it's a scam.  Whatever the purported institution or company, it's definitely a scam if it asks you to do that.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Definitely a scam. No payment company or bank is going to require an overpayment with the recipient then making a refund.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,995 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This is clearly someone spoofing Wise, Wise is a regulated company listed on the stockmarket and not a "joke" or a "scam"
  • kallikrates5
    Options
    FB marketplace looks now to be infested by scammers, I listed a camera kit only yesterday, with 4 scam attempts in about 12 hours. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    FB marketplace looks now to be infested by scammers, I listed a camera kit only yesterday, with 4 scam attempts in about 12 hours. 
    Hasn't that been the case for some time though? (according to the numerous threads on here about FB scams)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    Hasn't that been the case for some time though? (according to the numerous threads on here about FB scams)
    As long as I've been selling on sites I've been inundated with scammers on places like facebook and Gumtree. The scams are changing as things evolve, it all used to be Western Union scams, now they use bank names- but they are basically all the same.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback