We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Which is the better option?

gt568
gt568 Posts: 2,535 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
So as things stand I am currently 45.....
Would like to stop work 60ish...
I recieve a pension of 10k, which in 10 years will jump to about 15k....
Currently earning 48k on top of that....
I started paying into the new company pension pot this year, I contribute 6%, the company 8% thru a Smart scheme.....

My question is would I be better off putting AVCs into the pension, or I have an option of buying shares monthly which I can sell tax free if I keep them for 5 years....

I can't work out what is the better option really, any advice?
{Signature removed by Forum Team}
«1

Comments

  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ..both??....................................................
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Can't really afford both....?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,894 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    gt568 said:
    So as things stand I am currently 45.....
    Would like to stop work 60ish...
    I recieve a pension of 10k, which in 10 years will jump to about 15k....
    Currently earning 48k on top of that....
    I started paying into the new company pension pot this year, I contribute 6%, the company 8% thru a Smart scheme.....

    My question is would I be better off putting AVCs into the pension, or I have an option of buying shares monthly which I can sell tax free if I keep them for 5 years....

    I can't work out what is the better option really, any advice?

    Does the share purchase scheme offer any other benefits or incentives besides being tax free if kept for 5 years? Often the employer will match your purchase so it's buy one, get one free, giving you an immediate 50% gain, plus all tax free. If so, these are pretty much a no brainer unless you think the company is going down the pan and the shares are likely to halve in value in 5 years.

    If there are no further incentives, then it's a closer call. The shares are tax free whereas pension contributions are effectively tax deferred (no tax now, and 25% tax free on withdrawal but the other 75% will be taxed), but the pension is likely a well diversified investment (e.g, index tracker, etc) whereas company shares give you massive concentration risk in one company. You know your company - you decide which is likely to give you a better return on investment.

    Or you can hedge your bets, and do both?


    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    45 is a bit young to be receiving a pension ?
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    45 is a bit young to be receiving a pension ?

    Not really, earned it thanks.  All part of my T&Cs.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    NedS said:
    gt568 said:
    So as things stand I am currently 45.....
    Would like to stop work 60ish...
    I recieve a pension of 10k, which in 10 years will jump to about 15k....
    Currently earning 48k on top of that....
    I started paying into the new company pension pot this year, I contribute 6%, the company 8% thru a Smart scheme.....

    My question is would I be better off putting AVCs into the pension, or I have an option of buying shares monthly which I can sell tax free if I keep them for 5 years....

    I can't work out what is the better option really, any advice?

    Does the share purchase scheme offer any other benefits or incentives besides being tax free if kept for 5 years? Often the employer will match your purchase so it's buy one, get one free, giving you an immediate 50% gain, plus all tax free. If so, these are pretty much a no brainer unless you think the company is going down the pan and the shares are likely to halve in value in 5 years.

    If there are no further incentives, then it's a closer call. The shares are tax free whereas pension contributions are effectively tax deferred (no tax now, and 25% tax free on withdrawal but the other 75% will be taxed), but the pension is likely a well diversified investment (e.g, index tracker, etc) whereas company shares give you massive concentration risk in one company. You know your company - you decide which is likely to give you a better return on investment.

    Or you can hedge your bets, and do both?



    I don't think they do offer a buy one, get one etc, but I'll need to check.....

    Business is certainly good, but who knows what the future holds I guess.

    It's a tough call!
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 July 2023 at 1:20PM
    gt568 said:
    45 is a bit young to be receiving a pension ?

    Not really, earned it thanks.  All part of my T&Cs.

    Armed Forces pension, payable on completion of 22 years plus?  It's what we signed up for.  I was once told that I was 'very lucky' to have such a pension, and I replied that yes, I WAS very lucky - lucky to have completed my 22 years with my life, limbs and mind intact.  Unlike so many others. 
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    gt568 said:
    45 is a bit young to be receiving a pension ?

    Not really, earned it thanks.  All part of my T&Cs.

    Armed Forces pension, payable on completion of 22 years plus?  It's what we signed up for.  I was once told that I was 'very lucky' to have such a pension, and I replied that yes, I WAS very lucky - lucky to have completed my 22 years with my life, limbs and mind intact.  Unlike so many others. 

    29 years in the bank.....cher-ching.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • Armed forces getting triggered yo 
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 July 2023 at 8:42PM
    gt568 said:
    gt568 said:
    45 is a bit young to be receiving a pension ?

    Not really, earned it thanks.  All part of my T&Cs.

    Armed Forces pension, payable on completion of 22 years plus?  It's what we signed up for.  I was once told that I was 'very lucky' to have such a pension, and I replied that yes, I WAS very lucky - lucky to have completed my 22 years with my life, limbs and mind intact.  Unlike so many others. 

    29 years in the bank.....cher-ching.
    Even better when there's two of you!  22 years (Sgt) for me, 29 years (Flt Sgt) for Mr S.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.