Sanity check on Direct Debit Affinity Water

Options
I have just received a water bill for £110 covering seven months of usage (meter is outside and claimed to be read). I decided to set up a monthly direct debit but did not read the fine print and thought the set up was for one year, it was for  seven months and was set as £30 per month. If the previous 7 months cost £110 , around £16 per month how can they justify near double for a DD. I am cancelling and will pay for what I use. Has anyone else encountered this kind of estimation?

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gdw123 said:
    I have just received a water bill for £110 covering seven months of usage (meter is outside and claimed to be read). I decided to set up a monthly direct debit but did not read the fine print and thought the set up was for one year, it was for  seven months and was set as £30 per month. If the previous 7 months cost £110 , around £16 per month how can they justify near double for a DD. I am cancelling and will pay for what I use. Has anyone else encountered this kind of estimation?
    If your previous usage over the last seven months was £15.71 per month and your ongoing usage is going to be around the same, then to clear the debt and pay for your ongoing usage is going to cost around £30pcm, then, once the debt is cleared your Direct Debit will be reduced to an amount close to £15.71.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Did you pay the £110 bill?

If not, as indicated above, it is standard practice for all utilities to set the DD at a level to pay off the arrears(£110 in your case) and cover ongoing usage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback