Appealing Council Tax Reevaluation from Improvement indicator

Options
We bought a house in June 2021 with an improvement indicator. 

We didn’t get a letter from the Valuation Office Agency until December 2022 saying that “due to alterations/improvements made to the house by a previous owner we must include the additional value in the band following your purchase.”  Nothing happened following that letter and today (July 2023) we received exactly the same letter.

This is strange because the only major improvement the previous owner did was to get new UPVC windows. A conservatory had already been added a long time before they moved in so that shouldn’t count should it?

I called the Council about any Planning Permission or Building Regulations applied for my house and they couldn’t find anything. The only thing I can find is a Fensa certificate for the new windows in 2008.

Just had a revised Council Tax Bill where my band has increased from a B to an E. I haven’t even had a letter from the valuation agency. They haven’t even bothered to visit the property.

I’m definitely going to appeal. Two doors down is a similar house bought a couple of months before mine for only £20,000 less and that’s a band B. There are other houses on my road where the band seems too low.

Could someone please give me some advice how I should word my appeal by comparing my house to neighbouring properties?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have a problem.

If you haven't had a Notice from the VOA informing you of the band increase then you need to contact them and ask that they send you a copy as you never received one. As it is a band increase you are appealing, you have to appeal the Notice and without one you can't appeal.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silverchoice
    silverchoice Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have a problem.

If you haven't had a Notice from the VOA informing you of the band increase then you need to contact them and ask that they send you a copy as you never received one. As it is a band increase you are appealing, you have to appeal the Notice and without one you can't appeal.
    I’ve sent them a message from their web site.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    I've had further thoughts on this.

A 3 band jump is most unusual. It suggests that this could be an error or possibly more likely there was an error with the original band. Although these will be far from 100% accurate, can you put your purchase price into Nationwide, Zoopla and Rightmove price indices and see what they give as a 1991 price?

Could you also do the same for the house that sold for £20,000 less please?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silverchoice
    Options

A 3 band jump is most unusual. It suggests that this could be an error or possibly more likely there was an error with the original band. Although these will be far from 100% accurate, can you put your purchase price into Nationwide, Zoopla and Rightmove price indices and see what they give as a 1991 price?

Using the Moneysavingexpert calculator it says both should be E. But I thought the VOA say this isn’t accurate?
  • lincroft1710
    edited 27 July 2023 at 5:36PM
    Options

Using the Moneysavingexpert calculator it says both should be E. But I thought the VOA say this isn’t accurate?
    It's probably isn't accurate, but it won't be that inaccurate as to overvalue (when most of these calculators undervalue) by 3 bands. I think we have our answer, the original Band B was incorrect and Band E is more representative of your home's 1991 value.

Nevertheless, it may still be worth appealing to see if you can get the band reduced to Band D (unless the MSE guide showed over £100K for the 1991 value). Start looking round the area for properties of a similar size, age and style in Band D. If you can only find Band E properties then you will at least know that the band is now probably correct.
  • silverchoice
    Options

It's probably isn't accurate, but it won't be that inaccurate as to overvalue (when most of these calculators undervalue) by 3 bands. I think we have our answer, the original Band B was incorrect and Band E is more representative of your home's 1991 value.

Nevertheless, it may still be worth appealing to see if you can get the band reduced to Band D (unless the MSE guide showed over £100K for the 1991 value). Start looking round the area for properties of a similar size, age and style in Band D. If you can only find Band E properties then you will at least know that the band is now probably correct.
    As I said in an earlier post two doors down is the corresponding end terrace which was bought a couple of months before ours for only £20,000 less and has a similar area and that’s a band B. The only difference being that we have a conservatory and they have a detached garage.
  • lincroft1710
    Options

As I said in an earlier post two doors down is the corresponding end terrace which was bought a couple of months before ours for only £20,000 less and has a similar area and that’s a band B. The only difference being that we have a conservatory and they have a detached garage.
    I would suggest that this other house is also in the wrong band and if you quote it the likelihood is that its band will also be increased to Band E.  
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    I have had even further thoughts on this. 

It would be very helpful if you told us your purchase price in 2021 and the actual figure the MSE calculator gave for the 1991 value. Also can you look on your deeds and also the Land Registry for previous sales of your home. Can you also give us some details of the house e.g. type, age, style, number of beds etc and which area of the country please.

It is clear that there has been some almighty foul up either when the bands were originally done or with the recent rebanding. My parents' first house (which they sold 60 years ago almost to the day) was a small 3 bedroom, direct to pavement Edwardian end terrace and now no off street parking. In 2022 it was for sale at an astronomical price, far higher than the nearby 1960s 3 bed semis with garage space which those who could afford them moved to.

I am therefore wondering if your house/street/area has become proportionately more desirable than in 1991 and the VOA seeing your purchase price automatically assumed the house was originally underbanded and rather than investigate properly just whacked the band up . I have to confess that in the late 1990s the VOA didn't realise house prices were rising again and overbanded some extended houses which had been sold. But we quickly realised our mistake.

Finally did you receive a copy of the VOA Notice, and if so what was the date of issue please?

• silverchoice
    edited 31 July 2023 at 6:59PM
    Options

It would be very helpful if you told us your purchase price in 2021 and the actual figure the MSE calculator gave for the 1991 value. Also can you look on your deeds and also the Land Registry for previous sales of your home. Can you also give us some details of the house e.g. type, age, style, number of beds etc and which area of the country please.

It is clear that there has been some almighty foul up either when the bands were originally done or with the recent rebanding. My parents' first house (which they sold 60 years ago almost to the day) was a small 3 bedroom, direct to pavement Edwardian end terrace and now no off street parking. In 2022 it was for sale at an astronomical price, far higher than the nearby 1960s 3 bed semis with garage space which those who could afford them moved to.

I am therefore wondering if your house/street/area has become proportionately more desirable than in 1991 and the VOA seeing your purchase price automatically assumed the house was originally underbanded and rather than investigate properly just whacked the band up . I have to confess that in the late 1990s the VOA didn't realise house prices were rising again and overbanded some extended houses which had been sold. But we quickly realised our mistake.

Finally did you receive a copy of the VOA Notice, and if so what was the date of issue please?

I got my letter on Friday dated 23rd July so I think it was just delayed in the post.

I bought the house for £357000 in June 2021 and when I use the MSE calculator that gives me a price of £103,000 in 1991. Prior to that it was sold for £244,000 in 2004 which it says was £96,000 in 1991.

My house is a three story weavers cottage built in about 1800 with 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and one reception room and it’s 140 square metres from the EPC.

I live in what is now a tourist area in Yorkshire and there are a few Airbnbs near us so I think the area is a lot more desirable than it was in 1991.

I’m going to ring up the VOA to request an appeal. Have you any advice on what questions I should be asking them?
  • lincroft1710
    edited 2 August 2023 at 2:36PM
    Options

I got my letter on Friday dated 23rd July so I think it was just delayed in the post.

I bought the house for £357000 in June 2021 and when I use the MSE calculator that gives me a price of £103,000 in 1991. Prior to that it was sold for £244,000 in 2004 which it says was £96,000 in 1991.

My house is a three story weavers cottage built in about 1800 with 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and one reception room and it’s 140 square metres from the EPC.

I live in what is now a tourist area in Yorkshire and there are a few Airbnbs near us so I think the area is a lot more desirable than it was in 1991.

I’m going to ring up the VOA to request an appeal. Have you any advice on what questions I should be asking them?
    Basically ask them why it has gone up 3 bands and other than your purchase price what evidence do they have for increasing the band as there has been (as far as you are aware) no material change to the property and other similar houses are in Band B
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback