Options
2»

Comments

• silverchoice
    silverchoice Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 August 2023 at 10:27AM
    Options
    I’ve spoken to someone at the VOA who said that maybe when my house was banded the top floor might not have been in use so I have requested the property information they have on my house. 

I’ve told them that I am going to appeal the increase from B to E.

I’ve found three nearby properties of a similar age and size that are all in band B which I will use in my appeal.
  • silverchoice
    edited 21 November 2023 at 8:14AM
    Options
    So the valuation agency have refused to reduce my new Council Tax Band and are reassessing the bands of three similar properties nearby and have put improvement indicators on them.

I'm not sure whether I am going to take them to a tribunal. I have three months to decide and would like to wait to see what bands the similar properties are put into before deciding.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,690 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So the valuation agency have refused to reduce my new Council Tax Band and are reassessing the bands of three similar properties nearby and have put improvement indicators on them.

I'm not sure whether I am going to take them to a tribunal. I have three months to decide and would like to wait to see what bands the similar properties are put into before deciding.
    If a property has an Improvement Indicator, then the band will be reviewed when the property is next sold. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silverchoice
    Options
    The person from the valuation agency said that “The Supporting information I sent you with the decision notice, informed you that a band review is currently underway” on three properties that I included in my appeal. Doesn’t that mean the band will change before they are sold again?
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    The person from the valuation agency said that “The Supporting information I sent you with the decision notice, informed you that a band review is currently underway” on three properties that I included in my appeal. Doesn’t that mean the band will change before they are sold again?
    In your previous post you said

"So the valuation agency have refused to reduce my new Council Tax Band and are reassessing the bands of three similar properties nearby and have put improvement indicators on them".

If the properties have Improvement Indicators, the bands would not usually be reviewed until after the properties have been sold.

If the VOA have said they are currently reviewing the bands then it is extremely doubtful they have been assigned Improvement Indicators.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silverchoice
    Options

"So the valuation agency have refused to reduce my new Council Tax Band and are reassessing the bands of three similar properties nearby and have put improvement indicators on them".

If the properties have Improvement Indicators, the bands would not usually be reviewed until after the properties have been sold.

If the VOA have said they are currently reviewing the bands then it is extremely doubtful they have been assigned Improvement Indicators.
    But the improvement indicators are on the Yougov website.

• lincroft1710
    Options

But the improvement indicators are on the Yougov website.

If that is the case and the property has not been sold since the improvements have taken place, then the VOA should not be reviewing the band unless they are claiming the band has always been incorrect but will ignore the current owner's improvements when arriving at the new band. This is not a step to be taken lightly
  • silverchoice
    Options

So two of the properties have been moved from band B to band E with effect from 21st February which makes me feel a bit better about my reevaluation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback