Options
13»

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 July 2023 at 8:54PM
    Options
    I can't recall how it works - maybe you have to opt in to get reminders ?
    DVLA also reminds me when the Road Tax is due for Direct Debit payment on a 6 month cycle.
    This has slipped way off topic - my fault - mea culpa etc.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    "And then cue the calls from others about unnecessary capturing and storage of data."
    The customer could easily tick a box to give consent to having such data stored.
    I would suggest that the validity of a passport is a necessary key element of making a booking.

"Why should it be somebody else's responsibility to check your passport is in date?"
    I'm not excusing or defending the individual responsible - however a lot of angst etc. could be avoided if the problem were identified at the critical point - which is at the time of booking, not the subsequent input for API.
    None of us are infallible, let him without sin cast the first stone ?

Which I personally wouldn't be happy to do so and wouldn't be happy to book with a company that does this.

My current UK passport expires in 2025. I have an EU passport that expires in 2027 and another non-EU passport that expires in 2033. This information is not relevant to any travel booking and I personally certainly wouldn't be happy to divulge this until check-in, which I normally do about 48 hours before the flight on low cost carriers. All 3 of these in my case ensure access to the EU visa-free, although I will use the EU one for,  entry to ensure my right to freedom of movement is protected.

It is not the responsibility of a tour operator to ensure my passport is valid for travel, it's my responsibility.

As above, should tour operators be responsible for checking that British citizens with a criminal record are refused entry for Spain also as is the case under Spanish legislation? I think this is a very large overreach and case law has shown it's the responsibility of the individual to ensure they are eligible to entry.

Spain has been picked here as the example as this is rightly being enforced the most, likely due to the number of British citizens visiting.

As an aside - I'm old enough to remember being on my parents' joint passport - black outer covers with cutout windows at front showing the principal holder (dad) name with document serial number showing through, and both  their photos inside.
    I didn't even rate an image - just full name, place and date of birth.
    Before the days of equal opportunities - my mother could not travel on the passport on her own.
    A far cry form today's high tech security aware style.
    So am I. I've been included in such a passport in the past.

This is not relevant to this discussion and IIRC was only applicable to those under 16. An individual passport is required for security purposes these days and any past requirements have been overridden by new legislation.
    💙💛 💔
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,337 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son’s passport expires early next year and he is looking at booking a holiday for late spring/early summer. I’m sure he would not welcome being declined when booking as his passport would be out of date! He also doesn’t want to renew it yet as he has a short break booked in October and also ha doesn’t want to effectively lose 8 months on his existing passport by renewing too soon. 

I can also foresee an issue where if passport validity was required at point of booking but traveller could over ride it with a tick box saying they acknowledged it and would take steps to renew, that we would then have travellers complaining that travel company were aware the passport was expired and didn’t warn them nearer the time, so they forgot to renew. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 27 July 2023 at 9:48AM
    Options
    "Which I personally wouldn't be happy to do so and wouldn't be happy to book with a company that does this."
    This could be at the customer's discretion, so you could opt out if so desired, perfectly acceptable  - however, no reason why your objection should prevent others from opting in, if such choice was offered."
    "This is not relevant to this discussion and IIRC was only applicable to those under 16"
    As I acknowledged and apologised for.
    One of the problems in the UK is the time it may take to renew a passport, however that's a separate discussion.

• NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    "I can also foresee an issue where if passport validity was required at point of booking but traveller could over ride it with a tick box saying they acknowledged it and would take steps to renew, that we would then have travellers complaining that travel company were aware the passport was expired and didn’t warn them nearer the time, so they forgot to renew."
    That would not stand as an acceptable excuse IMO.
    Where the passenger has been made aware of a potential passport validity issue it then becomes their sole responsibility to rectify it, the travel provider would have no further liability in this regard.
    You can lead a horse to water.................
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IIRC, when booking with easyjet, you have to enter passport details before printing out boarding cards. I think it's essential. I assume that would flag up an out of date document. That's close to date of flight though so unlikely to allow time to renew passport. 
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    maman said:
    IIRC, when booking with easyjet, you have to enter passport details before printing out boarding cards. I think it's essential. I assume that would flag up an out of date document. That's close to date of flight though so unlikely to allow time to renew passport. 
    That's at check-in.

This is the same with every other airline I've flown with, not months in advance as was suggested above.
    💙💛 💔
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,673 Forumite
    Options
    While I agree that it's individual responsibility to ensure that passports are in date, a system exists at check-in to verify documents and could be widened. 

Particularly as there's been a problem in the UK renewing passports in a timely manner, it might be useful to introduce this step earlier.

I know airlines only really care about the money but this would be good customer service at minimal cost. It could even flag up the need to apply for a passport PDQ for early bookers. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    "And then cue the calls from others about unnecessary capturing and storage of data."
    The customer could easily tick a box to give consent to having such data stored.
    I would suggest that the validity of a passport is a necessary key element of making a booking.

So what if I want to book a holiday for next March but I have a passport that expires in November that I haven't renewed yet because I'm going to travel on it in October?

It would depend on where you were going whether you would be allowed entry with a passport that expires in a month.   You may need 3 months or 6 months validity from the date you intend to leave the country.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    Options
    sheramber said:
    bagand96 said:

So what if I want to book a holiday for next March but I have a passport that expires in November that I haven't renewed yet because I'm going to travel on it in October?

It would depend on where you were going whether you would be allowed entry with a passport that expires in a month.   You may need 3 months or 6 months validity from the date you intend to leave the country.
    Yes that's true, but equally there are destinations where a UK passport holder can travel up to expiry.

Its all hypothetical anyway because it's likely unworkable that an airline/tour operator/agent will implement anything like passport checking. You only have to think back to 2-3 years ago when rules were hanging on a daily basis! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback