TUI holiday problem

Options

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 July 2023 at 1:50PM
    Options
    "And then cue the calls from others about unnecessary capturing and storage of data."
    The customer could easily tick a box to give consent to having such data stored.
    I would suggest that the validity of a passport is a necessary key element of making a booking.

"Why should it be somebody else's responsibility to check your passport is in date?"
    I'm not excusing or defending the individual responsible - however a lot of angst etc. could be avoided if the problem were identified at the critical point - which is at the time of booking, not the subsequent input for API.
    None of us are infallible, let him without sin cast the first stone ?

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I know the exact day, month and year that my passport expires.
    I also have a note in my diary on my phone.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 July 2023 at 4:55PM
    Options
    "And then cue the calls from others about unnecessary capturing and storage of data."
    The customer could easily tick a box to give consent to having such data stored.
    I would suggest that the validity of a passport is a necessary key element of making a booking.

So what if I want to book a holiday for next March but I have a passport that expires in November that I haven't renewed yet because I'm going to travel on it in October?

I agree, I'm not being critical of the OP, it's an unfortunate oversight that we're all capable of making. I'm just not sure making it an airline/tour operator problem is the answer. 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 26 July 2023 at 4:17PM
    Options
    As an aside - I'm old enough to remember being on my parents' joint passport - black outer covers with cutout windows at front showing the principal holder (dad) name with document serial number showing through, and both  their photos inside.
    I didn't even rate an image - just full name, place and date of birth.
    Before the days of equal opportunities - my mother could not travel on the passport on her own.
    A far cry form today's high tech security aware style.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Is there anything we can do about this to recover / cancel from TUI?"
    Simple answer is no unfortunately.
    If she is prepared to stay behind, assuming that is a realistic option, then you should consider going anyway - make the best of a bad situation.
    I'm sure she'll find a way in which you can make it all up to her in the not too distant future.

An afterthought - when you book with TUI online don't they ask for passport details of all passengers for API ?
    Wouldn't your daughter's details flag up as invalid and therefore be rejected before you confirm the reservation ?

Not if more than 10 years have expired since the issue date but there are still over 3 months until the expiry date. eg. passport issued 20.7.13 but doesn't 'expire' until 20.10.23 (due to months on the previous passport being carried over).
    The OP may only have entered the expiry date when doing the booking.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    katejo said:
    "Is there anything we can do about this to recover / cancel from TUI?"
    Simple answer is no unfortunately.
    If she is prepared to stay behind, assuming that is a realistic option, then you should consider going anyway - make the best of a bad situation.
    I'm sure she'll find a way in which you can make it all up to her in the not too distant future.

An afterthought - when you book with TUI online don't they ask for passport details of all passengers for API ?
    Wouldn't your daughter's details flag up as invalid and therefore be rejected before you confirm the reservation ?
    Not if more than 10 years have expired since the issue date but there are still over 3 months until the expiry date. eg. passport issued 20.7.13 but doesn't 'expire' until 20.10.23 (due to months on the previous passport being carried over).
    The OP may only have entered the expiry date when doing the booking.
    The rules applying to EU passport validation (meaning that it's not as simple as checking stated expiry date, to the surprise of many holders of UK passports nominally valid for more than ten years) are an example of another reason why travel companies won't take on any liability for verifying validity on behalf of passengers....
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

"Why should it be somebody else's responsibility to check your passport is in date?"
    I'm not excusing or defending the individual responsible - however a lot of angst etc. could be avoided if the problem were identified at the critical point - which is at the time of booking, not the subsequent input for API.

Should they also be checking they have the correct visa, that they dont have a criminal record as certain countries dont accept peoplewith them. Where do you draw the line for travel documents?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think it should be personal responsibility to check you have the appropriate and up-tp-date travel documents.

However, I would be unhappy about the misinformation the OP says he was given about the cooling off period, which was clearly wrong.
    Does the OP have any proof of this?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    "Should they also be checking they have the correct visa, that they dont have a criminal record as certain countries dont accept peoplewith them. Where do you draw the line for travel documents? "
    I hear what you are saying - however, if a passport is invalid these other obstacles are rendered academic.
    Perhaps the authorities could automatically flag up when a passport is approaching time to renew ?
    DVLA do that with notice of MOT renewal dates.
    Just a thought.
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Should they also be checking they have the correct visa, that they dont have a criminal record as certain countries dont accept peoplewith them. Where do you draw the line for travel documents? "
    I hear what you are saying - however, if a passport is invalid these other obstacles are rendered academic.
    Perhaps the authorities could automatically flag up when a passport is approaching time to renew ?
    DVLA do that with notice of MOT renewal dates.
    Just a thought.
    I have never had a reminder from the government regarding my MOT, the local garage who usually does it yes I get one from them but only because they want the work
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback