We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I buy my family gifts when I go on holiday as they do for me?

Options

Comments

• kesyery
    Options
    Maybe an easily  portable small bottle of local booze, but only if I remember.  Some folk do, some folk don't.  Not a big issue in my book.
  • captainwobble
    Options
    I would buy them a small bag of foreign sweets that you cannot purchase here.  That's what i do as the tourist tat as you say will be a gift they just would not use or probably like.  Cant go wrong with a small bag of sweets.
  • Annemad
    Annemad Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stopped bringing gifts home from holidays a long time ago. I told my family I wasn't doing it anymore and told them to bring me nothing back from theirs. I don't need another fridge magnet thank you
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree to bring back some food for them - I know they'd appreciate you thinking of them :) Our Family used to do this but stopped after my Mam passed away - these little gifts were important to her <3 xx
    "Araf deg mae mynd ymhell" - "Go Slowly, Go Far" <3
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    If you happen to see something you genuinely think they would appreciate (and can afford) then sure, but don't buy tat for the sake of it. Send a postcard instead.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    If you happen to see something you genuinely think they would appreciate (and can afford) then sure, but don't buy tat for the sake of it. Send a postcard instead.
    We always sent a postcard to a friend of ours whenever we went abroad.
    When he died we found out from his family that he'd kept them all.
    They handed them back to us and we spent a long time reading them, reminiscing about our holidays and our friend, laughing and crying.
    I've kept them.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whilst I am sympathetic to the view that buying unwanted gifts is ecologically unsound and can be stressful, I do feel that this is your family's tradition and that it would, possibly hurt them if you did not bring them a little something back. I agree with others here, that something that can be consumed, and that may have some connection with the place you have visited, is probably the best type of gift to buy for them. Just don't turn it into a stressful souvenir hunt.
  • Kt70
    Kt70 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

When my parents or my sister go on holiday, they usually bring me back a small gift, though I always tell them they shouldn't, as it's often something I don't need. I'm going away soon for the first time in a while and I'm wondering if I should buy them gifts - I feel that whatever I buy will be a waste of money, but I know I'll feel guilty if I don't bring something back like they always do for me.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    :/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    I buy a tea towel that is printed with local info or the name of the area I’m staying in. 
  • Madyana
    Options
    It's always a tricky one, but buying a local delicacy usually goes down well. Personally, I resent spending time on holiday shopping and don't like receiving unwanted prezzies. I have let my family know, but they still buy stuff for me! Generally a waste of money.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Madyana said:
    It's always a tricky one, but buying a local delicacy usually goes down well. Personally, I resent spending time on holiday shopping and don't like receiving unwanted prezzies. I have let my family know, but they still buy stuff for me! Generally a waste of money.
    And in my opinion it's rude to disregard other people's wishes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback