Money Transfer

Options
I'm new to this but if an existing credit card is offering me a money transfer on 0% for 15 months with 3.5% fee with about £14K available, does this mean what it seems...

So I can tell them to transfer £14K to my current account, for a one off fee of about £500, and then I could make say 6% interest on that or whatever in a savings account or suchlike, so I would make a profit?

When do I pay the £500 fee - is that payable immediately or at the end of the 15 months?

Also I assume I would still have to make the minimum payment each month to the credit card as with any other credit card debt?

Comments

• noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With most cards you are allowed to transfer 95% of your available balance.
    In your example you could transfer 95% of £14000 = 13300 to your bank account.
    The 3.5% fee of £465.50 would be added to your card balance making that £13765.50.
    You would still have to pay the minimum balance each month.
    Use this calculator to work out if you will make a worthwhile profit.
    https://stoozing.com/stoozcalc.php
  • Pat38493
    Pat38493 Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    noh said:
    With most cards you are allowed to transfer 95% of your available balance.
    In your example you could transfer 95% of £14000 = 13300 to your bank account.
    The 3.5% fee of £465.50 would be added to your card balance making that £13765.50.
    You would still have to pay the minimum balance each month.
    Use this calculator to work out if you will make a worthwhile profit.
    https://stoozing.com/stoozcalc.php
    Thanks - what does the tax field mean in that calculator?  If I select 20%, this means all of the savings tax in this scenario is taxed at 20%, or it means first £1000 is tax free and rest is at 20%?  

I guess it must be the former based on the results it’s giving?
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes the tax field figure is applied to all the interest it doesn't take into account the £1000 0% savings allowance.
    You will have to manually calculate any tax you may have to pay depending on your circumstances.
  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The best method (if you can get it) is to do a fee free cash advance, and use a BT card to pay off the original card that you got the cash advance from.

The jargon commonly used is that is a mule card.

It's far easier to obtain BT cards, and the fees tend to be lower. 

If the timing is right, you just pay a few pence interest on the mule card. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback