Netflix axes cheapest ad-free plan for newbies

Options
Netflix has axed its cheapest 'Basic' advert-free plan for new and rejoining subscribers. It means they'll now have to pay £4 more a month to watch with no adverts at the lowest price.

Read the full story:

Netflix axes cheapest ad-free plan for newbies - here's what you need to know

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Grab the latest MSE Deals
Get MSE's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Basic still exists in other jurisdiction if you happen to sign up when overseas (or appear as if you were overseas via VPN). Pay via Starling (other fee free cards are available) and bobs your uncle... some overseas fees are notably cleaper than the UK too.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Basic still exists in other jurisdiction if you happen to sign up when overseas (or appear as if you were overseas via VPN). Pay via Starling (other fee free cards are available) and bobs your uncle... some overseas fees are notably cleaper than the UK too.
    Does that work if you sign up while on holiday somewhere where it's cheaper, then come back to [the UK]?
  • nrmsmith
    nrmsmith Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was on the Basic £6.99 pm package on an 2 months on 4 months off twice a year package.  Now the cheapest is £10.99 to rejoin, it’ll be on for 2 months 7 months off.  Not that there’s much there I want to see anyway.
  • rarrarrar
    rarrarrar Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although the Standard with Ads package is a lot cheaper, impossible to find out what devices it will work on. Netflix do not seem to have a list of compatible devices.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rarrarrar said:
    Although the Standard with Ads package is a lot cheaper, impossible to find out what devices it will work on. Netflix do not seem to have a list of compatible devices.

Well what's this then?

• rarrarrar
    Options
    And the link just tells you how to tell if the device you are using at present is compatible or not . Not something you can do without a subscription to start with and not much help if you want to go and buy a compatible device !
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    rarrarrar said:
    And the link just tells you how to tell if the device you are using at present is compatible or not . Not something you can do without a subscription to start with and not much help if you want to go and buy a compatible device !
    It tells you everything you need to know although you may need to go to the extent of actually reading it.
  • rarrarrar
    Options
    Sorry I disagree, and I have read the documents.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
     I could see it happening - and the same has applied to phones and broadband as the years have gone by.
    But the TV, get you used to tuning in, paying for no ads then up the price or do away with the ads option as well.
    I've only just started watching  TV streaming services online for selected progs as a start to weening myself off TV and doing something more interesting and relaxing. I've found that once I've watched the good programmes again that were made years ago there is nothing to entertain. I watched one series and realised I was spending time literally watching paint dry.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• adam06_2
    adam06_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 July 2023 at 9:58PM
    Options

I found a article that shows you how to still get the basic account ,at £6.99 with no ads. You just need to sign up to the one with ads, then go into settings and switch and the basic option is available and it will switch you immediately... Not tried it... Article below.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/netflix-trick-get-basic-tier/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure