Options
2»

Comments

• SJE89
    SJE89 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mi-key said:
    Quite possibly is a kid or teenager flying it, so bought a cheap one and won't need to register it. If it is  under 250g it is very unlikely it will do any damage if it crashes into your house
    I'm sure it won't do much/any damage to my house, but my car is going to be damaged if it hit that, and I'm not going to be happy having to claim on the insurance, paying out excesses and affecting premiums for the next 5 years. Or even paying for damage myself, if the person responsible isn't identified. 

I haven't heard from the police yet, or seen/heard the drone again since, but it's only been a couple of days since.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SJE89 said:
    mi-key said:
    Quite possibly is a kid or teenager flying it, so bought a cheap one and won't need to register it. If it is  under 250g it is very unlikely it will do any damage if it crashes into your house
    I'm sure it won't do much/any damage to my house, but my car is going to be damaged if it hit that, and I'm not going to be happy having to claim on the insurance, paying out excesses and affecting premiums for the next 5 years. Or even paying for damage myself, if the person responsible isn't identified. 

I haven't heard from the police yet, or seen/heard the drone again since, but it's only been a couple of days since.
    I'm not surprised.

What you have described here will be a very low priority for a police response.

I do understand your concern but a sub 250g drone (assuming that is the case) is very unlikely to do much damage to a parked car. We are talking about less weight than a Pidgeon or a squirrel.

In a way if the drone does crash on your property it may make it easier to get some action and / or trace the owner.
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless it is hovering outside your bedroom window with a camera attached I really can't see the police bothering to respond for a drone that has flown over your boundary a couple of times. They generally have more important things to be doing
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Buy a drone of your own, then next time you see the offender send yours up to see if there's anyone nearby who looks like they're using a drone remote control.
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    outtatune said:
    Buy a drone of your own, then next time you see the offender send yours up to see if there's anyone nearby who looks like they're using a drone remote control.
    Or a falcon and train it to attack drones 
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a drone (with camera) hovering over my rear garden last week. I went around the front and found a man in a suite standing by,and a young (looked about 14?) boy controlling the drone. They were filming/photographing a house 3 door away for sale.  I said the were not allowed to overfly private houses, and they agreed to be more careful.

A friend had a drone over their house a few weeks ago, and the next night their e-bycicle had been stolen. It was not visible from the road, or adgacent gardens, and the theives had to climb a high fence to get it.
  • Undervalued
    Options
    I had a drone (with camera) hovering over my rear garden last week. I went around the front and found a man in a suite standing by,and a young (looked about 14?) boy controlling the drone. They were filming/photographing a house 3 door away for sale.  I said the were not allowed to overfly private houses, and they agreed to be more careful.

A friend had a drone over their house a few weeks ago, and the next night their e-bycicle had been stolen. It was not visible from the road, or adgacent gardens, and the theives had to climb a high fence to get it.
    That is not true if the drone is below 250g in weight. Even above 250g it is a simplification at best.

As I mentioned earlier, in addition to cheap toys there are some high quality drones made to come in under this weight and are quite often used by estate agents etc.

From the CAA guide.....

Small drones and model aircraft below 250g

You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g at residential, recreational, commercial and industrial sites.

Remember, you must always fly safely.

Examples of residential, recreational, commercial and industrial sites

Residential sites include:

• individual residential buildings
    • small groups of residential buildings
    • housing estates
    • villages
    • cities and towns
    • schools
  • Undervalued
    Options
    mi-key said:
    outtatune said:
    Or a falcon and train it to attack drones 
    I am sure that was intended as a joke but those that make more serious threats to "shoot them down" etc would do well to remember that it is a serious criminal offence to recklessly or negligently endanger the safety of an aircraft. That applies just as much to a model or drone and it does to a full sized aircraft.

In addition to breaking the law you would be fully responsible for any injury or damage caused by the aircraft or drone if you cause it to crash.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

That is not true if the drone is below 250g in weight. Even above 250g it is a simplification at best.

As I mentioned earlier, in addition to cheap toys there are some high quality drones made to come in under this weight and are quite often used by estate agents etc.

From the CAA guide.....

Small drones and model aircraft below 250g

You can fly small drones and model aircraft that are lighter than 250g at residential, recreational, commercial and industrial sites.

Remember, you must always fly safely.

Examples of residential, recreational, commercial and industrial sites

Residential sites include:

• individual residential buildings
    • small groups of residential buildings
    • housing estates
    • villages
    • cities and towns
    • schools
    I realise that, but he didn't argue.
    But anyway he was violating
    • You must maintain direct visual contact with your drone.
    As he could not see it over my backgarden from the road. 
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about the drone flying overhead, it's the burglars breaking in through the window you should be worried about. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback