Drone flying within the boundaries of my property

Options
Last week I was out in the back garden and heard a noise. I looked up and there was a drone hovering over the house, which then flew away. I thought nothing of it.
Then tonight I heard a bang on my dormer roof, and a loud buzzing. It sounded like someone drilling.
And then I remembered seeing the drone. 
I ran downstairs to open the front door, but by the time I got there it was already on it's way.

I'm not sure what I can do about this, as I can just imagine the police's response unless I can serve them absolute proof of it and the person responsible on a plate, they won't be interested.

But I'm not sure what the laws on it are, either?

I plan to record when I see it and the direction I see it from and where it goes, but other than that I'm not sure.
I just don't want any damage doing to my home or car, and the privacy implications, is surely a breach of some law?

Has anyone any experience with this sort of thing?

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The answer to your question may not be totally straightforward without knowing the model of drone being used. 

Below a certain weight the rules are different to being above a certain weight. If below 250g it can be flown over more populated spaces with less restrictions - but if over 250g there are certain restrictions such as not being able to fly over a road bearing traffic, or be within a certain distance of people who are unaware of its presence. 

Every drone flyer should be registered with the civil aviation authority. 

You can find details here: 

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/

Drones can record video footage and take photos from above almost all public spaces. Exceptions are usually around things like airports and prisons. 

So it might depend on what kind of drone the person had, and which position it was in when recording. 

Drone flyers are supposed to be in constant eye contact with their machine at all times. They should also have a flyer ID - checkable here: 

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/check-a-registration

Did you mean it hit your house and then took off again ? 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 18 July 2023 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Civil Aviation Authority
    See 4
    150m away from residental site.

I was getting breakfast one sunday to find a drone hovering on my boundary looking directly into my kitchen!

But with no identifying numbers on these things its hopeless.
    However it is worth notifying the police even if they don't do anything. If they get a number of reports they may try to take action - or they may already be looking for whoever.

You definitely can't shoot one down, not even a water blaster I believe.

But if you do a Google search (not another engine) with 'can you shoot down a drone' there are some interesting items on the subject of residential properties and drones in the boxes at the bottom of the search page.
    I haven't read them but they look pertinent. Seems there are some additions to the law.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• SJE89
    SJE89 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Yes it did. I have now reported it via the local police's non emergency page.

twopenny said:
    Civil Aviation Authority
    See 4
    150m away from residental site.

I was getting breakfast one sunday to find a drone hovering on my boundary looking directly into my kitchen!

But with no identifying numbers on these things its hopeless.
    However it is worth notifying the police even if they don't do anything. If they get a number of reports they may try to take action - or they may already be looking for whoever.

I have reported it now. Hopefully I'm not the first, or last!
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SJE89 said:

Yes it did. I have now reported it via the local police's non emergency page.

Many drone flyers are very responsible - but there are always a few that aren't. The same few that don't usually register with the CAA or follow the guidelines. I've got one myself that's over 250g, so there are lots of places I can't use it, but I still see some zooming around the skies without a care in the world. If something of its weight dropped on you rather than your house, it could result in life-changing injuries (propellors whizzing into your face as it bounces off your nose) - and many of the 'I don't care' brigade really don't care until someone gets hurt. Hopefully it'll be the last you see of them.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 July 2023 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Hi SJE.
    Once per week?! Blimey!
    On the fair assumption that it'll return, perhaps be ready to give chase armed with camera? Ok, it's going to leave you behind, but there's a fair chance it hasn't travelled very far to get to you, especially as it's a residential area - the flyer will know that if it crashes, they'll struggle to track it down and recover it (unlike being in a field or park, for example), so I suspect they could be very local - perhaps only a street or two away.
    So, concentrate not so much on running after it, but keeping it in your sight, so perhaps even detour if it gives you a better view - see if it looks as tho' it's coming down somewhere. Then get there as fast as yer legs will carry you, and walk up and down the roads checking out each house. Anyone you see, ask them if they've seen a drone - very good chance a walker will have done, and could well point to the guilty house.
    Have your phone set to record if you approach anyone about it.
    Bear in mind it could just be a kid messing around, and they will likely be mortified - especially at being caught!
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 July 2023 at 11:44AM
    Options
    The answer to your question may not be totally straightforward without knowing the model of drone being used. 

Below a certain weight the rules are different to being above a certain weight. If below 250g it can be flown over more populated spaces with less restrictions - but if over 250g there are certain restrictions such as not being able to fly over a road bearing traffic, or be within a certain distance of people who are unaware of its presence. 

Every drone flyer should be registered with the civil aviation authority

Drones can record video footage and take photos from above almost all public spaces. Exceptions are usually around things like airports and prisons. 

So it might depend on what kind of drone the person had, and which position it was in when recording. 

Drone flyers are supposed to be in constant eye contact with their machine at all times. They should also have a flyer ID - checkable here

Not in most cases if it is below 250g all up weight. As explained on this page

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements-for-drones

In addition to cheap toys, there are some serious, capable (and expensive) drones made to be just under this limit. Some require an "operator ID" (which is different to a flyer ID) but some don't.

Also experienced model aircraft pilots, who were qualified with the recognised organisations before a certain date, are currently exempt from having a flyer ID if they opt to use what is known as "Article 16 exemption". They do still require an Operator ID in most cases which should be displayed on any aircraft / drone above 250 g.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Every drone flyer should be registered with the civil aviation authority

Drone flyers are supposed to be in constant eye contact with their machine at all times. They should also have a flyer ID - checkable here

Not in most cases if it is below 250g all up weight. As explained on this page

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements-for-drones

In addition to cheap toys, there are some serious, capable (and expensive) drones made to be just under this limit. Some require an "operator ID" (which is different to a flyer ID) but some don't.

Also experienced model aircraft pilots, who were qualified with the recognised organisations before a certain date, are currently exempt from having a flyer ID if they opt to use what is known as "Article 16 exemption". They do still require an Operator ID in most cases which should be displayed on any aircraft / drone above 250 g.

You two, get a room. Drone drone drone...

:-)
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I wonder how many people bother. It seems an almost entirely unenforceable rule and a lot of hassle most people couldn't be bothered with. Admittedly I've never bought a drone but I'm not aware of any checks that take place when you do. I could just go on Amazon and buy one now after all with very little checks taking place.

Drones do have the potential to become a massive problem so maybe they will enforce it more heavily in the future.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gavin83 said:

I wonder how many people bother. It seems an almost entirely unenforceable rule and a lot of hassle most people couldn't be bothered with. Admittedly I've never bought a drone but I'm not aware of any checks that take place when you do. I could just go on Amazon and buy one now after all with very little checks taking place.

Drones do have the potential to become a massive problem so maybe they will enforce it more heavily in the future.
    There have been, quite rightly, a number of successful prosecutions for dangerous or potentially dangerous drone flying in the UK in recent years.

However I don't agree that it is or will become "a massive problem".  That, with all due respect is a knee jerk / Daily Mail type reaction! Lots of high quality broadcast TV is filmed from drones, they are widely used for safety critical survey work, search and rescue and law enforcement. 

Serious model aircraft flying in the UK has a really excellent safety record witnessed by the remarkedly low insurance premiums paid by members of the reputable bodies for £25 million public liability cover.

From memory there are c. 100K CAA flyer ID registrations in the UK plus association memberships totalling about 40K, who are largely exempt at the moment from needing a CAA flyer ID for reasons I have mentioned. So perhaps about 125K doing it properly.

Yes there are cowboys, just like non microchipped dogs and uninsured cars. Aviation is not forgiving so the idiots soon get bored once they have broken one or two toys!
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite possibly is a kid or teenager flying it, so bought a cheap one and won't need to register it. If it is  under 250g it is very unlikely it will do any damage if it crashes into your house
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback