Does being retired affect your chances of getting a new credit card?

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,722 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have not faced an issue with getting cards but usually low limits as the way my pension income is structured means on paper I am on low income but have a portfolio I draw on with six figures. All of them have upped the limit as I have used the cards though and pay them off in full monthly. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If your credit record is in good shape, and I suppose if you are still younger than the average life expectancy somewhere in our eighties, you should be able to get credit cards as a pensioner. I already have several cards with quite a large total credit limit but am shortly going to make major payments and so fancied an AMEX for good cashback, and the Natwest 23 month 0% on purchases. I got accepted for both, with over £4k limit on either.

I first used the eligibility checkers on the Natwest and on the AMEX websites. Natwest said I would be eligible. AMEX gave me a 4/10 chance. Neither gave an indication of the limit - they only tell you after they have run a hard credit check. I picked up all my courage and applied for both cards one morning between 9 and 9:30. I was fully prepared to get turned down by AMEX but much to my surprise I was accepted. Natwest application also sailed through. Both cards arrived within days.
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 632 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had no problems. Barclaycard with  £13000 limit and well past retirement age with a flawless credit record and above average pensions income.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    I have had no problems. Barclaycard with  £13000 limit and well past retirement age with a flawless credit record and above average pensions income.
    Are you a homeowner?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    Blimey, that's twice what they gave me, and they're still my highest credit card limit across the range I possess!
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

Blimey, that's twice what they gave me, and they're still my highest credit card limit across the range I possess!

But does that matter? As long as your limit is sufficient for your needs, anything over and above that is superfluous. Different people have different needs. £13,000 might not be enough for one person, whilst £6,500 could be plenty for another.
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options

But does that matter? ....
    To be fair, no. :smile:

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pat38493 said:
    I would think that it must be more complicated than just whether you are retired or not - I suspect that having an explicit rule of excluding retired people from getting one of your credit cards (publicly stated or not) would put you in hot water regarding age discrimination laws, as this would potentially constitute indirect age discrimination.

@Pat38493 They are shamelessly ageist.

"To apply for a credit card in the UK with 118 118 Money, you'll need to:

• Be between 18 and 70 years old
    • Earn at least £8,400 a year
    • Live in the UK permanently
    • Not currently be in arrears with another lender
    • Have had no default payments in the last six months"
    Source: https://www.118118money.com/credit-cards/apply-for-a-credit-card/
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven’t applied for a CC since retiring but I have applied for a new bank account that gave new customers £150 to switch.  I have a good credit record and have had no debts for at least 25 years.  They rejected me for the following reason “you do not fit our customer profile”.   
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2023 at 11:17AM
    Options
    I haven’t applied for a CC since retiring but I have applied for a new bank account that gave new customers £150 to switch.  I have a good credit record and have had no debts for at least 25 years.  They rejected me for the following reason “you do not fit our customer profile”.   

"No debts for at least 25 years" is perhaps not the strength you believe it to be. Many lenders want to see history of credit usage; you might effectively be in the same category as the occasional 'young person trying to get first credit card' category issues we see on here frequently.
    EDIT - sorry I see this is a current account now. Doubt this is credit usage related then - did you apply for an overdraft facility? Was it a 'premier' (or 'advance' if HSBC) type account?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure