We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Fridge not a described on web site

Options
I bought a frost free wine fridge 7 months ago and it has a year guarantee. The web site stated it was frost free.  It is supposed to go down to 5 degrees. It doesn't. It goes to 7 / 9 degrees. It is iced up at the back. The supplier told me to defrost it and they would send someone down to do that. I want to have my money back a is not a repairs as1 will have to defrost it myself regular.ly. I could not know of this fault till it occurred and they are not offering to fix it. They just say defrost it. It is not reasonable. What can |I do

Comments

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Al52 said:
    I bought a frost free wine fridge 7 months ago and it has a year guarantee. The web site stated it was frost free.  It is supposed to go down to 5 degrees. It doesn't. It goes to 7 / 9 degrees. It is iced up at the back. The supplier told me to defrost it and they would send someone down to do that. I want to have my money back a is not a repairs as1 will have to defrost it myself regular.ly. I could not know of this fault till it occurred and they are not offering to fix it. They just say defrost it. It is not reasonable. What can |I do
    Welcome to the forum.

At this stage I would agree to a visit from the supplier's engineer.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 July 2023 at 2:38PM
    Options
    To me sounds like the door isn't sealing so letting warm air in.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pretty normal in my experience for a frost free freezer to not work so well because the freezer bit does get iced up. We used to have that with a Beko fridge freezer, we just defrosted it when it needed it. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 July 2023 at 4:05PM
    Options
    elsien said:
    Pretty normal in my experience for a frost free freezer to not work so well because the freezer bit does get iced up. We used to have that with a Beko fridge freezer, we just defrosted it when it needed it. 
    Disagree, my two Beko frost free freezers have never iced up, and had them over 5 years.
    Non-FF do ice up where it gets cold and over time will need defrosting.
    Frost free would ice up where it gets cold, but on a cycle it also warms that area so prevents ice, but this is hidden away. A FF works by blowing the cold air throughout the freezer.
    A FF should never freeze at the back as that's not it gets cold. The reason it would is so is too much warm air is getting into the freezer, first turning to condensation then freezing or that's it's not FF.

OP is a fridge and doesn't sound a true FF Also it should never be iced up at the back as shouldn't need to get that cold to get to 5 degrees as standard and certainly not the 7/9 degrees the OP is getting
    IMO the door is badly sealing, letting the warm air so making the fridge work so hard it is actually freezing where it's getting cold, but the warm air is stopping the rest of the fridge from getting cool enough.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2023 at 5:37PM
    Options
    OP, what is the duty cycle of your machine, ie. how much time is the motor running?

It is hot weather now but a wine cooler shouldn't be running more than about 25% of the time, depending on what wines it is set for.

You can test the door seal with a scrap of paper.

Also, a frost-free wine cooler has a sort of funnel at the back going down to a little tube which leads condensed water out to a tray heated by the motor.
    Check with a thin wire that the little tube is not blocked.

PS: You shouldn't be storing any wines at 5°C!
    I presume your cooler is stocked entirely with champagnes (envious) but even they are fine at 7
    °C.
    Sweet whites like Gewürztraminer are optimum at 7-10°C and all other whites at 10-12°C
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    Al52 said:
    Have you set it to go down to 5 degrees? Has it ever reached that number? Is it definitely SUPPOSED to? 

If all they are offering is someone to come down and show you how to defrost it then I think I would not agree to that. 

To be honest I think 'frost free' might be a subjective term - it probably doesn't mean never has to be defrosted and there may well be a problem with seals or something causing it. 

On the other hand if you have a spec that says it goes to 5o and it can't achieve that then I think that's potentially a straightforward objective claim. You might want to push on that front and tell them your fridge doesn't meet spec and ask them if they wish to offer a repair, replacement or refund.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback