We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

UPS

Hi - trying to check on this ….. 

UPS left a parcel from a retailer in a green bin. The photo doesn’t show anything - not our house, our the bin just a box on top of cardboard. We didn’t authorise it to be left in a dustbin as it’s not a secure place for us. We were also on holiday. We had however asked them to leave it with our neighbour. 

So it’s gone missing ….. 

UPS are trying to deal with me directly which I believe is not correct as it’s the retailers contract with them. I don’t care but they keep sending a driver round to interview us & fill in paperwork. 

Again happy to do this but it should be coming on email from New Balance & not a driver turning up at the door. 

We haven’t been in the 3 times they have tried anyway & also I had s bad experience with an abusive Hermes delivery driver at the door when I was home on my own with my baby once. Luckily a male neighbour came to intervene so I am a bit wary of this. 

Can anyone advise please as despite speaking to UPS the driver keeps on coming round. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    While the contract is between the sender and the courier if something has been lost then UPS may wish to investigate and speak to the recipient. Just speak to them and answer their questions and the problem will go away, surely?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,906 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    If you find my recent thread on RM you will note that I was the buyer and had to do all the leg work myself, my seller had tracking showing delivery and whilst sympathetic, was unwilling to spend hours sorting it out. 

I think the retailer should be the first port of call , (before this last mis delivered parcel we had recently lost another but seller refunded and said they would chase up RM) , but realistically if they are not overly helpful you may have to persue this yourself via other means. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • min21
    min21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Third Anniversary First Post
    While the contract is between the sender and the courier if something has been lost then UPS may wish to investigate and speak to the recipient. Just speak to them and answer their questions and the problem will go away, surely?
    Well absolutely but as I said the 3 times they have tried we haven’t been in & go away again for a week tomorrow. They want me to sign something so am just saying should they not email it? Rather than keep turning up? It’s been 4 weeks already …. 
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,113 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    soolin said:

I think the retailer should be the first port of call , (before this last mis delivered parcel we had recently lost another but seller refunded and said they would chase up RM) , but realistically if they are not overly helpful you may have to persue this yourself via other means. 
    I agree, contact the retailer. I'm assuming the tracking shows the item as delivered to your address?

The other question would be how much was it and how did you pay?

I use UPS quite a lot in 3 different towns, in 2 of them they're excellent, in the 3rd they're dreadful. Like most of the couriers when they do something wrong they don't have a good way of dealing with it.

• min21
    The retailer are awful. The tracking shows delivered with a photo which could be our recycling bin but we have a card also saying they put it in a bin. However we weren’t at home so by the time we got home no box anywhere. 

It’s £140 so quite a bit of money. The crazy thing is there is a UPS access point just 2 minutes round the corner so why leave it a bin? 

It’s more is it usual for a driver to come round & “interview” us? To sign a document? Just email it to me! 

I have never had an issue with UPS — always brilliant until now. 
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,113 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    min21 said:

It’s £140 so quite a bit of money.

How did you pay? You'll have more options for getting your money back if you paid by credit card and/or Paypal.
  • min21
    Stupidly I just used my debit card but I will contact my bank for a chargeback if get nowhere with the retailer or UPS …… all just exhausting - the downside of online shopping! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 346.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 238.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 613.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.7K Life & Family
  • 251.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.