how much is the average water bill for a 1 bed flat

Hi,
I have got a 1 bed flat with 1 living room, kitchen and bathroom/toilet (incl. bath tub) with me and my wife living. My water supplier is soutern water. Just recieved a bill, where they said my property is metered and from their readings, I have got £121 for slightly more than 4 months.

Is it normal? does the unmetered customers get a better deal ? also where is my water meter placed?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Well if you are metered you cannot go back to an un-metered tariff in that property.

The average water consumption is approx 60 cubic meters per person, per year.

So for 2 people in 4 months the average would be 40 cubic meters; so look at your bill and see what you have used.

You also need to check if either meter reading was estimated.

Also(assuming this is your first bill) the intial reading could be from the previous occupation; in effect you are paying for the previous occupants consumption; check with the water company on that point i.e. when was the initial reading taken.

That said £360 a year for a couple is highish, but not excessive. The size of your property is not really relevant. If you lived in a six bed mansion you wouldn't use more water in the house - you woul still wash/shower/bath/use the toilet etc the same.

Your water meter could be anywhere; on the road, in a basement, under your sink! Check with neighbours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure