We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

B and Q third party online seller issues

13

Comments

  • I think that's what PTFE tape is?

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 August at 2:20PM

    Are you sure? What product is it?

    A random click on this product on the B&Q website, and it's clear it's sold and shipped by someone else. When you click on the business's name it gives you more information about the seller, and about any returns policy.

    image.png

    I'd say your restaurant analogy is flawed. A better analogy might be buying a McDonalds through Deliveroo, and the burger tasted off. You paid through the Deliveroo app but your consumer rights for the food lie with McDonalds.

  • Thanks for the reply.
    I must say that, so far, replies seem quite defeatist, I was hoping for someone that has experienced this issue and could offer some pro-active advise based on their experience.
    I appreciate we have to be realistic with my expectations but, bottom line is, B&Q is huge 'outfit' and shouldn't be passing the buck over faulty items sold in their name.
    I am aware that I may not be entitled to a full refund as I still have the unit however, they could pay a plumber to uninstall it and put the old one back or, better still, one that isn't/wasn't faulty!
    I am aiming extremely high with what I expect in compensation including the hours I am spending chasing it.
    Bottom line is, the buck stops with them.
    I will keep you all posted…

  • Aveli Freestanding Vanity Unit Basin Sink Bathroom Storage Furniture Gloss White 560mm

    MSE won't let me post the link yet, I'm too new apparently! Here's the unit details above, I still don't see where it states what you say…?

  • I stand corrected! :

    Sold & shipped by Plumbworld

    Available online only and not stocked in B&Q stores

    Right under the title! how annoying and difficult to spot when looking for something on your phone on a tight budget.
    God, I hate the modern world!
    I am still going to fight it, I feel I've been treating completely unfairly.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I agree you should seek some recompense, particularly for the consumables and any parts you bought and couldn't return, but it's worth knowing where your consumer rights lie. Going all-guns-blazing at B&Q just gives them an easy "out" - they'll point out you have no contract with them. Tackle it more positively and they might intervene and sort something out.

  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,685
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    No. PTFE tape is a thin white plastic tape that you wrap around threads of screw fittings to help ensure a watertight fitting.

    Plumbers mait is a type of putty - one that never fully dries (so remains flexible). You roll out a "sausage" of it, and make a ring that you put around the underside of the top of the plug fitting - so it gets squeezed between the plug fitting and the sink, and it makes a watertight seal.

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,535
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    This ^^^

    Moulded ceramic sanitaryware is never flat enough to seal without the correct sealant. It's not a fault. PTFE tape is designed only to 'cold flow' into metal threads under pressure. It doesn't stick to anything and will interfere with any other type of seal.

    Remove every scrap of your leaky silicone PTFE mix (you can buy a special solvent for that) and refit properly using a plumber's putty such as plumber's mait.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I took the same view that the product might not be faulty because a competent plumber would use the right products to deal with the shape of the basin. It's not an engineering piece honed to micrometres of tolerance. However, the seller appears to have acknowledged the product as faulty because they initially offered a partial refund. If that's still on offer, it's worth considering.

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,535
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Good point.

    A fiver refund will pay for this from Screwfix:

    image.png
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.