We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

B and Q third party online seller issues

24

Comments

  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Posts: 1,157
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I hope it gets sorted! It may be they are doing work behind the scene that you’re not privy to (giving the benefit of doubt to B&Q). If it was myself, I would contact them on Monday and ask what the next step is to resolve this. Try and get them to allow you take it to a store as a compromise and then takes the pressure off you. 
  • AW
    AW Posts: 44
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you for all the advice, took the items back to a local store with no issues and even had an apology,money is now back in my account. Lesson learnt not to use the third party seller again 
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,933
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @AW and @Kimflower -  how did you both pay?  If by credit charge or debit card have you tried a s75 claim (if >£100) or chargeback?

    Kimflower  -  my understanding (which may be mistaken...  :) ) is that the base, parasol and cover together* form a commercial unit, so if you are rejecting one of them, you are rejecting all of them and you are entitled to a refund for all of them.

    (On the invoice do they appear as one item or as three?)


  • AW
    AW Posts: 44
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    It was 2 receipts, my main gripe was constantly being told over the phone and online chat that I was not able to take the items to the store for a refund. I was unable to contact the store directly. I took the chance after over a month of phonecalls and went to the store. Wish I had gone there earlier and not followed their rules 🙄 
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,933
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    AW said:
    It was 2 receipts, my main gripe was constantly being told over the phone and online chat that I was not able to take the items to the store for a refund. I was unable to contact the store directly. I took the chance after over a month of phonecalls and went to the store. Wish I had gone there earlier and not followed their rules 🙄 
    Sorry.  When I posted earlier I'd missed that you'd already managed to get your money back instore.

    My experience with a couple of large retailers is that staff instore will often be a lot more helpful than online CS staff.  Even though CS may be technically correct that you aren't entitled to return an online purchase instore, it may sometimes be worth trying.  But if the instore staff also refuse it isn't worth arguing about.
  • Hello,

    I am not sure if I should post this in a new thread? I'm new here.

    So, I bought a bathroom sink unit from B&Q installed it, screwed and silicone to the wall when I fitted the waste pipe it leaked. I spend a good few hours fixing it, it seems a common problem with mass made sinks that the underside of the plug hole was not flat. I bought additional pipework thinking mine was wrong (it wasn't) and ended up using PTFE tape and silicone to fix it. All this time our family bathroom was out of order and I was in trouble with the Mrs. and kids!

    Contacted B&Q got an ESOL (English Speaker of Another Language) in India? was difficult to understand them and, I was told I need to contact the 'Seller' Plumbworld. I expressed my surprise at this because I was sold the item through B&Q and thought they should deal with it.
    The Seller spent a few days replying and, although they initially offered a partial refund, because of the multiple people getting involved, they were now requesting photos and receipts of the items, I sent these and was ignored.
    I went back to B&Q in India? and was copied-in further emails to the seller, still no prompt response. Finally being told by B&Q that I didn't save the pictures and receipts in the correct format for them to view in the attachments.
    I explained I had already been offered a partial refund prior to the request for receipts and pictures. They momentarily pedaled back. Heard nothing for another few days so, I emailed the B&Q CEO and explained the buck stops with them, I want my money back and will also want money for the time spent chasing all this in calls to India and emails.

    I now have two people in customer services in contact, one being the Executive Complaints dept.
    They still copied me into emails to the seller who has requested further evidence. I reused to communicate with the third party and explained, again, that I will only deal with who sold me the item. Pointing out this example:
    If I ordered a steak in a restaurant, and complained that it didn't taste right and the staff gave me the details of the farmer to deal with the complaint or refund, would this be acceptable??

    We are a few weeks into this fiasco and I am nowhere near being compensated. I have asked for a full refund and reimbursement of materials and time.
    What else can I do?
    I am completely lost, stressed and upset for being insulted in this way.


  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I was told I need to contact the 'Seller' Plumbworld. I expressed my surprise at this because I was sold the item through B&Q and thought they should deal with it.

    […]

    I reused to communicate with the third party and explained, again, that I will only deal with who sold me the item. Pointing out this example:
    If I ordered a steak in a restaurant, and complained that it didn't taste right and the staff gave me the details of the farmer to deal with the complaint or refund, would this be acceptable??

    Unfortunately that analogy doesn't fit here - B&Q are effectively acting as a marketplace intermediary, and your contract is with the actual seller, which is where your consumer rights lie, so they're not a third party as such…

  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,687
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Did you use plumbers mait? That should form a flexible watertight seal between the plug fitting and the sink.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,898
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 August at 2:04PM

    You're not entitled to a full refund because you have retained the sink.

    If you have evidence of itemised costs you can attribute to the situation, e.g. how much you spent on calls and additional pipework/consumables as a result of a manufacturing error, then it is legitimate to claim for those. As for you time, how much are you after? You'll perhaps get a goodwill gesture such as voucher.

    If it is a marketplace seller, as suggested by eskbanker, have you read the terms and conditions of the contract? It's possible/likely you have no consumer rights with B&Q, so demanding things from them may be a waste(!) of time.

  • Thanks for the reply.
    At no point whatsoever when visiting B&Q's website was I told I was in a marketplace. Perhaps there's some sneaky small print to that effect? Anyways, the person in B&Q complaints advised me that, if the seller doesn't sort it then B&Q will eventually.
    So, my analogy fits and B&Q are and will be responsible.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.