NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible


Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

parent transferring their property to 1 child out of 3 - 7 year rule

i am the eldest sibling of 3, my mum is widowed and she is looking to transfer her current property and main home into my name. this is for a few reasons, e.g. 7 year inheritance tax rule and to try and make things easier for us if she were to pass. i am hoping for some opinions on this as the situation is a little complex. the property's value is approx £700k and it is owned outright. i currently own a property (by mortgage) with my long-term partner, we are not married or civil partnered and have no intentions in formalising our relationship in that way. i also have no intentions of indefinitely staying in my current property and am therefore conscious of any repercussions in the future e.g. extra stamp duty to pay as i will own two properties (but surely the stamp duty would be nominal in comparison to the inheritance tax legally avoided in the future?). i currently do not have a will, so i know i will need to arrange one so that my mum's property is protected, from say, those thinking they have rights to it if i were to suddenly pass. it is important to say that, biologically, i have a different dad to my above-mentioned siblings, he is alive and married, with a separate family, which includes another sibling of mine. please can i have your advice and comments on this situation. 


  • TripleH
    TripleH Forumite Posts: 2,996
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    If it is given to you, what do you mum's other children get?
    What happens if you go bankrupt and have to sell off yours and your mum'shouse to pay debtors?
    Not trying to put you off, but these are points you need to consider as part of the structure.
    Also there is a chance the deal could be unpicked as a way of evading care home fees.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • turnitround
    turnitround Forumite Posts: 640
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    How old is your mum? Why on earth does she want to give up her security.  What  you have said gives the impression that its more about keeping others from inheriting (which could be done with a proper will)  and also more about helping yourself. Apologies if that is not the case.
  • auroras_answers
    auroras_answers Forumite Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Post
    @TripleH - sorry i should have been a little clearer. it would be put into my name and when our mum passes i would be responsible for selling it and sharing the purchase funds with my 2 siblings. i am not clued up on the care home fees comment - i will do some research on that, thank you.

    @turnitround - my mum is nearly 56. ooh no - i am not trying to help myself. this is all her idea. 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Forumite Posts: 5,362
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 July at 11:09AM
    Is the intention to avoid care costs, I don't believe there is a seven year rule with that, but it would depend on your mother's age and health. I know people that have done this with much lower value houses and it might work out ok. But with such a high value, it might be worth seeking legal advice 
  • auroras_answers
    auroras_answers Forumite Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Post
    @user1977 - are you able to elaborate please or point me in the right direction? i am not aware of 'gift with reservation' and not clued up on capital gains tax either. thank you.
  • stuhse
    stuhse Forumite Posts: 171
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Think about the senario if you die before your mum- could she be kicked out of her home by your beneficiaries ?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Forumite Posts: 12,329
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    @user1977 - are you able to elaborate please or point me in the right direction? i am not aware of 'gift with reservation' and not clued up on capital gains tax either. thank you.
    'Gift of reservation' means that for the purpose of avoiding IHT you can't give something away but then continue to benefit from it.  So if your mother gives you her house but continues to live in it, then unless she pays you the market rent for doing so it will still form part of her estate for IHT purposes, however long you have it. 

    Capital gains tax for an individual is basically paid when you make a profit on something.
    For property, your main residence is exempt, but any other property you own is laible to CGT. If your mother gives you her house but you do not live in it, then when you later come to sell it you would have to pay CGT on the difference between the value at the point she gave it to you and what you actually sold it for. 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards